THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Filling in impact dent on outside of barrel ??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Gentlemen,

my cz 550 .375 has a small but unsightly impact dent on the outside of the barrel near the rear sight. If it were rubbed out I think it would make a kind of well.

Could I use car body bog to fill it, and would some of that cheap blue cover the filler adequately ?? or is there some better filler, If I were to rub it out what tools would you reccomend.

Some moron who has handled this rifle before it got to me has let the barrel hit a sharp object I would say.

Thanks.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<.>
posted
Any fill you apply will look like a fill. About the best you can do is take off the sharp edges and touch-up blue -- which may or may not match.

The reason dings and dents in firearms reduce their value is because you can't really fix them.

<JBelk>
posted
PC--

It depends entirely on how deep the dent is and the shape. Steel doesn't compress so the metal from the dent "went" somewhere.

You can grind and polish a punch to a mirror finish and use the punch to "move" the displaced metal back into the dent. It's best to work with magnification and very good direct light from one side when you do this.

Most dents are much shallower than you think. Most rolled stamping on barrels and receivers are less than .005 deep.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr Belk,

what is the best tool for doing this ?? Is the word Punch refer to the dent or a tool??

By the way on HA you mentioned silicon sealent for holding my scopes in lapped mounts on big kickers, will roof and guttering silicone work fine for this application ??

Thankyou PC.

<JBelk>
posted
PC---

A "punch" is a tool. More properly it's a "planishing punch". I make them out of O-1 drill rod, but a section of Allen wrench works just as well and you won't have to heat-treat it. It needs to be harder than Woodpecker lips and mirror polished and FLAT....VERY flat. I lap mine with one micron diamond paste as the final stage.

"Silicone" is one of those terms that covers a LOT of ground. The stuff I use is aquarium adhesive. It's thick, clear, and sticks to slick surfaces like glass. It seals the gaps between the rings and the scope. Be sure to remove the moisture from the rings completely. I warm them with a propane torch and then wipe with a Carnuba floor wax before sealing them.

BE SURE the scope is where you want it before you do this!! This is not the technique to use on something you might want to change. You *can* take it apart, but you gotta be dedicated to the job! [Smile]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for that advice Mr. Belk it's always appreciated.