New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: siamese mauser/P14 questions
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
If you want something "off-the-wall" why not re-load for the 8x52R your gun is chambered for? LEE made me a set of custom dies for only $50 and Buffalo Arms has the brass. Even if you don't reload you could buy a Lee Anniversary Reloading Kit and the dies and brass for a fraction of the cost of gunsmithing and re-barreling your action.

However, I would really hate to see you cut up that rifle. There are so few of the Siamese left in original configuration. I collect Siamese Mausers and if you are interested I would be willing to make you an attractive offer for you rifle if it is in as good a condition as you say. You could put that amount and the several hundred dollars it would cost you to convert into an existing rifle(many Siamese were converted to .45-70 in the 70's and 80's). Please post if interested.

Bobster

Posts: 3780 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks craigster!

Posts: 100 | Location: Edmonton & Wabasca, Alberta, Canada | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm working on the same thing right now in 45/70. Getting the action to feed 45/70 rounds can be an issue. Altering the mag for a longer cartridge can also be an issue. I've seen these rifles chambered in 30/40 Krag, 303 Brit, and 7.62x54R Russian. Unless you can do most, if not all of the work yourself, it can get a little pricey for the end result, depending on how far you want to go with it. But what the heck, it's only money! Search the Bigbore Forum here and you'll more on this subject.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Folks,
I have a siamese mauser that I would like to do something with. It's actually in pretty good shape, but would like to make it into a shooter. I have read that it can be made into 45-70, but would like something a little more off the wall. Maybe a 40-50 or -70 SBN. Does anyone have any experiance with this sort of thing. Also, does anyone know a good 'smith between the B.C. and Manitoba borders? Thanks, LeRoy.

P.S. I also have a P14 that is just itching to become some sort of rimmed .33 cal. Anyone? Thanks again, LeRoy.

Posts: 100 | Location: Edmonton & Wabasca, Alberta, Canada | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bobster,
First, Happy New Year!
Yes, I might be interested. As soon as I figure these new fangled digitized cameras and take a DECENT pic, I will post. Hopefully not more than a couple of DAZE Thanks, LeRoy.
P.S. I do reload, but didn't realize that it was possible to reload these till last nite after I posted.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Archdlx,
I'm with Bobster on this one, if the rifle is in good orginal condition keep it as is, or sale and find an action only.
I've done the " off the wall Siamese thing" twice, one was a 35-348...lots of work to bolt face and feed rails etc.(not cheap to do right). The current project ( which I'm hope to get back any day) is a 35-7.62X54R.
I had a .358 Douglas blank and the 7.62R brass is one of the three most commonly used to make 8X52R brass..... so is that off the wall enough??
As far as a 45-70, I have never seen or know off one that will FEED. Good Luck, CSJ

Posts: 88 | Location: Winchester Ky. USA | Registered: 04 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
350 rem mag fits and feeds fine

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've worked on a couple Siamese mausers in the past. One I barrelled in 30-40 Krag. The Krag doesn't really fit, deHaas' comments notwithstanding, and feeding was problematic. I made two in 45-70. Again feeding wasn't as slick as I would have liked. I do think the 7.62x54 Russian might be a good choice. I didn't really find the fit of components in the Siameses to be very good and would prefer to alter a standard 98 to feed rimmed cartridges than mess with another Siamese. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3767 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote