New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ideal Barrel Profile for 9.3 x 62
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
For a wood stocked rifle to be used primarily in Africa, with a scope, at a 22" length, does anyone have an opinion if a PAC-NOR # 3 or # 4 profile would most ideal. Thank you

Posts: 10702 | Registered: 28 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the original mauser taper is what i would use i know the barrel was around 26" and not any more barrel than what is needed for the diameter .....paul

Posts: 294 | Location: MASSACHUSETTS | Registered: 26 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I suppose its a matter of personal prefrence but I would think a #4 to be too heavy. I have a .411 #3 Pac-Nor barrel x 24"on my 400 H&H and its just right. They will usually provide one contour lighter than cataloged on request and at 22", even a #2 wouldn't be too light.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
For a wood stocked rifle to be used primarily in Africa, with a scope, at a 22" length, does anyone have an opinion if a PAC-NOR # 3 or # 4 profile would most ideal. Thank you

Which ever one will get you a muzzle diameter of close to .640. At 22inches, with 1/4 rib, my Winchester comes in about 8 1/4 lbs bare weight. Feels good to me.

- stu

Posts: 1210 | Location: Zurich | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Do you have a rifle whose balance and profile you already like? Scale that one up.

For instance, say you have a 22" .308 with the muzzle of 0.60." So, 0.60" - 0.308" = 0.292", which divided by 2 = 0.146" of barrel steel around the bore at the smallest (muzzle).

If you add your 0.366" of bore to 0.292" of barrel steel, you get a muzzle diameter of 0.648", and whatever contour that yields.

As for length, I'm with you on the 22"; I haven't hunted Africa yet, but I'd hesitate to carry a 26" tube through the brush here in Virginia.

Jaywalker

Posts: 1006 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote