Find
Notify
Tools

A question on a take down rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of johnch
posted
I went to the range today to do some load testing .
A guy was finishing up so I waited to post my targets.
The guy was shooting a 98 Mauser in 338-06 with a Savage style barrel nut .
He had a extra barrel and scope in the case.
He claimed to have 3 other barrels for the rifle and scopes (It apeared he had Leupold quick detach rings).
I forgot to ask who did his work.
I plan on looking up his member number and asking.

Have you heard of a takedown system like this ?

How close would the rifle shoot to original zero after changing back to a barrel and scope?

Johnch

NRA life
Delta
Pheasants Forever
DU
Hunt as if your life depended on your results

Posts: 591 | Location: NW ,Ohio 10 Min from Ottawa NWR | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like finding the owner and asking him will give you the best answer.
T/d rifle accuracy is very much an individual thing,like any rifle.depends on the quality of the job. The better the job,the less effect there is from the variables.The more precise the t/d and QD mount system, the more reduced are the effects of the compounding factors of variation.
I had alook at a $27k t/d mauser which i thought the threads were too loose. Speaking with Ralf Martini,he like me ,prefer the tightest thread possible/practible for a t/d. So when you screw the barrel in,before lockup there is the absolute minimum of barrel slop in the thread system ,preferably none if possible.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you want to see a well made Takedown rifle look at the Sauer 202 t/d They start at about $5000,00. CHEERS

Posts: 124 | Location: CA | Registered: 19 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MZEE:
If you want to see a well made Takedown rifle look at the Sauer 202 t/d They start at about $5000,00. CHEERS

I bought my M200 which is the earlier model (they changed the trigger/safty in the 202) for ~$600 US NIB afew years ago. I saw a NIB M202 recently in the Gander Mtn by my place for under $1100 as I remember the price. They`re very nice rifles and accurate as you get from a factory gun. The take down is easy and it used to be new bolts and mags were available to change from std to mag cartridges also with the same action.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote