Find
Notify
Tools

What Is This?: Barrel Within A Barrel?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted
I just received this rifle. This is obviously a Post-War German rifle, the Waffenampts have been ground off.
All serial numbers match, even the two guard lock-screws. Only the bolt doesn't have numbers
since these were removed.
Note the Imperial Crown imprint on this portion of the barrel. note also what appears to be another
barrel fitted into this "stub" (for lack of a better description).
 -
Here is a somewhat better shot.
 -
I am thinking after the War, the rifles were demilled by cutting through the chamber? Then the
German gunmakers used barrel stubs from surplus rifle, and threaded the remaining military barrel into the stub?
Is this safe? Am I seeing things?
 -

[ 05-30-2003, 07:37: Message edited by: Roger Rothschild ]

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
I can't see the Pic's [Frown]

Posts: 8034 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
I've seen this done to rebarrel to a smaller cliber.. and got my money back from that auction, after I torched the barrel.

If it's threaded together, and for a lowpressure round MEBBE

if it's just silver solder, it's fubar
jeffe

Posts: 39598 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
RR---

I don't see a sleeve. I see a necking cut for soldering on a rear sight sleeve an a type A Mauser. That's how they got the fit you can't see.

one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
Jack,

It is most definitely a cut of some sort, the edges are clean and very sharp.

I could not believe it would be put together with two barrels. I cleaned the inside of the breech end and could see no line that would indicate a sleeve. The Germans knew what they were doing, it would be insane to not fit the barrel full length within the stub if that is what it was.

Can you tell me what a "necking cut" is and why it would be used. You said it was for fit, how?

Your reply would be appreciated.

This is really a nice little gun. The rifling is so sharp it makes my eyes water looking down the barrel. I don't fell so bad now after I let that little Mannlicher go at the gunshow two months ago [Smile] .

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
RR--

A necking cut can be clearance for screw threads or clearance for a corner.

ON some of those barrels a rear sight sleeve was soft soldered on, like a military M-98 but a more elegant sight. The necking cut assures a square surface for the sleeve to butt up against and room for the molten solder to go without forming a hydraulic brake as the sleeve gets near the end of the seat.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I know of a gunsmoth who rebarreled a rifle in this manner.
It was a Steyr SSG. The barrel had been shot out. The owner did not want to bear the expense of sending it back to the Steyr factory to be rebarreled. The bbls on the SSG's are "pressed" into the reciever, not threaded. The gunsmith cut off the bbl flush with the reciever, and machined out the bbl stub large enough to be threaded and screwed in a new bbl, [Shilen, I think]. He did not remove the part of the original bbl inside the receiver if I remember correctly. Everything worked fine. Rifle shot real good.
However..... He told me [he knew I had a couple of "high mileage" SSG's] "Don't even consider it....I will never do that again."
Aparently it was a real job.... but it worked.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
If it were a rear sight sleeve then wouldnt you expect the rear sight to be placed on it? Seems like a lot of trouble to then place the sight somewhere else.. [Confused]

A forward of chamber rebbl?? Perhaps from a "J" to "JS".. ??

Posts: 10164 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
The barrel was *made* for the rear sight sleeve......could even be a military barrel. They were almost ALL cut with the relief cut..... just like American rifles have four scope mount holes for those who use two piece bases......that means there's an extra hole for a one piece base. These barrels have a relief cut even though it's not always used. What's so hard to understand about that?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well I guess there aren't many Swede mauser guys hanging around. That is a swede mauser military barrel with sporting sights added. Can't tell what action it is maybe a swede action or a turk some guys will put a swede barrel on a turk action, I think the turk is cut for a small ring barrel. Let us know what it says on top of the front ring. Looks like one of the sporterized guns from one of the shooting clubs in sweden that has been brought over.

The crown is a dead giveaway, it is an inspection mark, probably from husqvarna, but could be a gustaf or orbendorf takeoff. Make a chamber cast and I bet a box of donuts it's 6.5 x 55 swedish.

Nice setup, mind telling where you got it. My sporter is a 1913 Carl Gustaf in a Richard's dual grip stock, shoots great and is very light.

RJS

Posts: 210 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 03 August 2001Reply With Quote