New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sako L-61
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A question for all you old smiths. How does one disassemble the bolt on one these? I figured out the firing pin but can't figure out how to remove the "bolt guide"? That long thing on the side that looks like an extractor on a mauser. Any help is appreciated.. Thanks

Posts: 65 | Location: oregon | Registered: 09 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here's a link to the manual for the L-61R:

http://www.sako.fi/pdf/manuals/Finnbear.pdf

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stonecreek, Thanks for the link. Very informative. I still can't figure out, how to get the bolt guide off. The problem I'm having is the bolt guide is binding and makes the bolt very difficult to operate. With the firing pin removed the bolt still feels like it is cocking. Any suggestions?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The folks at Sako parts, now Beretta, tell me that Sako made a tool for removing that guide. The guide is held onto the bolt by two rings that engage the underside of the bolt guide and are held from backing out by a sort of cloverleaf shaped spring. Now...the folks at parts tell me the tool don't work very well and the best way to remove it is to drive it off, over the spring retainers. Caution...you will probably ruin those retainers so get some new ones before you attempt to take the guide off.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim Kobe, Thanks for the info. My next question was, "How difficult is it to get back on?" You answered that as well. It definately needs some buffing on its back side. Do I drive it off toward the front or rear? Thanks again for your help.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It has to go off toward the rear. As for putting it back on, I put it in a padded vise to depress the extractor collars so it can be set in place and then tapped on. SOunds easy but it ain't.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim Kobe, Thanks again. Sounds pretty easy. All it takes is postage to Minnesota and whatever you're going to charge. Thanks again. I'll hollar if/when I need your services. Appreciate your input.