New
Find
Notify
Tools

McMillan Stock refinish
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I got a Win. 70 .280 bedded in a Mcmillan feather weight stock on a trade deal. It shoots well but looks like hell.

I am going to rust blue it but need help with the stock. It is worn down to the glass in a spot on the forearm and is that funky grey spiderweb color.

I don't really want to send it back to McMillan and do the waiting thing so I need some advise on refinishing it myself.

The stock is textured everywhere except where it is worn through. How do I get that spot to match? I have had good luck with Alumahyde paint on synthetics as it does not "melt" when I spill solvent on it.

Can I sand the whole stock smooth and use textured paint then a coat of Alumahyde? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Libertatis Aequilibritas

Posts: 570 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
McMillan is usually pretty good with their tech help. You might want to call them and ask for suggestions even if you don’t plan on sending it to them for the work.

Spray on finishes depend an awful lot on surface prep and McMillan would probably be the best source of info on the best way to prep their stocks so the spray on finish adheres well.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you want something truly unique do like I did. I taped off the areas where the stock would normally be checkered. I then applied a thin coat of acra glass and then patted on some fine sand. After this dried I just refinshed the stock using a can of black spray paint.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I sent one back once. It was 3 weeks and I had it back in my hands. Total cost was about $45 if I remember correctly.

If you add in the paint and the time involved in making it look right, I don't see how you could go wrong by sending to them and letting them re-do it for you. Besides, if I did it, it would have looked like I did it clap

While waiting, you can take care of the rust blue.

Terry

Before

After

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They refinished a rifle for me in less than a month also. $44.00.

LD

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had heard that the wait was a lot longer. If they will do it in a month, I'll just go that route. Thanks

Libertatis Aequilibritas

Posts: 570 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Damn nice stuff!

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote