THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is there a fix for a water damaged stock?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted
A freind at work is refinishing an pre-64 stock. He has the stock stripped down to bare wood but it has some water damage from hunting in the rain after a lot of the finish was worn off. He say's it looks like a mold stain. Is there any fix to pull these stains out? I didn't know of any so I thought I would run it past you guy's and see.

Thanks,
Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Go to a Lumber store. There is some stain remover stuff for water stain and blackish mold/mildew, used for finish sideing etc before its varnished. Ive used it, works good. Its a clear liquid you apply let set and hose off

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Are you sure? that sounds too easy Big Grin

Thanks!

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
diluted bleach i think a 50/50 mixture.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Try a simple wash with Oxyclean. Surprisingly effective on a lot of wood staining including black from rusted screws and butt plates. If that fails the next step is a saturated solution of oxalic acid crystals. Or, as mentioned the commercial wood bleach products.

stocker

Posts: 312 | Location: B.C., Canada | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Idared
posted Hide Post
Terry

I have had very good luck on both gunstocks and furniture using a solution of water and Oxalic Acid crystals. You can get these from most drug stores. Just mix the crystals in warm water and apply over the stained area with a rag. As the moisture dries it will gradually pull out the stain. Sometimes multiple applications are needed. The only downside is it does raise the grain which to me isn't a big deal.

"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc.

Posts: 845 | Location: Central Washington State | Registered: 12 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can try any of the stuff mentioned above, but if oxalic acid doesn't do it, I think you might be out of options. Good luck, let us know what works.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Cabot wood brightener will remove the spot AND return the wood to as new condition. Make positve to neutralize it with Cabot wood cleaner.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
First you need to kill the mold . 20-50% water bleach mixture will do it . Now you need to dry the stock out , Low heat oven for a short time then turn off let set inside over night ( With the oven closed and off !.) Next break the surface of the wood with what ever grit abrasion material you feel is appropriate . Now use oxalic acid any commercial deck cleaner uses it , simply follow the directions on the container .
Rinse with a neutralizer then clean rinse followed by Acetone or lacquer thinner wipe .
This removes any surface water in the wood !.

Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Terry,
It sounds like this was from water that had gotten under the finish and allowed to stay there.
In the future if you are anyone reading this get white water stains under your finish, wipe the stock with Ever Clear from your liquor store. The water under the finish will evaporate.
I hate hearing stories about people stripping the finish off a stock because it got water under it.

This also works great on Furniture and glass rings as well.

Note: Try the Ever Clear on a small area first and make sure it does not damage your finish.
That said, i have never known it to damage a finish of any kind.

Posts: 609 | Location: Cincinnati | Registered: 25 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I do several mold remediation jobs per year with my work. You don't need to kill the mold you need to remove it.

As has been suggested bleach does a great job though you need nowhere the ratio that has been suggested. We use 1 to 1.5 ounces per gallon of water.

Howard
Moses Lake, Washington USA
hwhomes@outlook.com

Posts: 2339 | Location: Moses Lake WA | Registered: 17 October 2000Reply With Quote