THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Help! Looking for simple way to put a name on a gun

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help! Looking for simple way to put a name on a gun
 Login/Join

Picture of Mark
posted
Here is my project-

I made up a pair of 22 rifles for my niece and nephew. Actually I haven't really done anything but clean them up and mount scopes on them. They are matched and I would like to put the kids names on them somehow. So far the best thing I can think of is just using a small router, but I am afraid that it might come out looking a little tacky. If I did it that way, I would do the name in relief and have it in a small oval on the side of the butt. I tried it on a sample piece of wood and it looks OK there, but like I said I am afraid that it might look a little tacky on the gun. Other Idea I had was to make plate in an exotic wood and inlet the plate into the gun. If it were for an expensive gun I think what I would do is inlay the name in brass wire, but that is more time consuming that what I want to do for these, and plus I have 2 to do!

Oh, and the reason I'm posting this now is I'd like to do these this week since I'm going down there towards the end of the week.

Anyway, I'm kinda stumped for a cheap/quick/easy (pick 2 of the 3) solution for this and was wondering if anyone has seen or done something that might be appropriate for this situation?

Many thanks!

Mark

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
<holtz>
posted
Mark,

I have been through this, but with knives rather than guns. Basically the same thing.

This project sounds worthy of spending a few bucks and having it done right, especially in a nice script.

Three suggestions. First, talk to a few jewelers. If they can't do it, they may know someone who can. They often have to farm things out for engraving.

Less expensive, and probably just as good a job, check machine shops in and around your area. There is always a shop in every area that has a pentograph (I think that's what they call it) and does engraving. This is where I have had my best luck. Last, check shops that make or sell trophies. They are set up to engrave.

Good luck,
Steve

one of us
posted Hide Post
I took my son's Ruger 10/22 to a shop where they make metallic name tags, and other tags used for awards, etc. Remember those little tags that are placed at the base of baseball, soccer and other awards?

I would take the rifle to such a shop, but only if they scribe the name the way they do tags. There are gun smiths that can etch the name on the rifle for you. Long ago I sent my .454 Casull to Freedom Arms, and they etched my name on it. My name was embedded in the metal, permanent black color against the gun's stainless background.

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Mark,

Copy what they do on "best" rifles. Get a small brass disc and have it engraved, then bend it slightly and set it into the stock just ahead of the rear sling swivel stud.
I think a small brass dogtag would do..Don't
scrmp on the engraving...get a jeweler to etch it rather than "scratch" it on with one
of those machines. My local petshop does the lot for about �5 including the disc, but it has to be sent off and takes about a week.

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Finley
posted Hide Post
Just take them to an engraver and have it done. My father is a gun engraver and does this thing all the time for guys. For around $50 you could get them both done and it looks a heck of a lot better than anything else.

Jarrett

Posts: 223 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 20 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
At the risk of preaching to the converted it might be an idea to make the bolts easily identifiable too so they don't mismatch the bolts to the rifles.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the responses guys!

What I think I'll do is engrave a small oval bass plate like many (but Pete E. especially) suggested. I might try Stainless Steel too, but it is a bit more of a pain to engrave in, depends which piece of scrap I come up with first I guess...

On thinking about it, I'll wait until after my trip to do it, so I won't get around to making them until next week. Otherwise I'll be in a hurry and we all know what happens next in that scenario. I'll post pictures when I get them made though.

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
<JoeM>
posted
Probably too late for you Mark,but for the benefit of others what I have seen done is on the pisto grip you get a skeleton cap with a brass insert. Then you can engrave initials, as well as a "coat of arms" if you wish. Really neat.

------------------
Safety & Ethics,Accuracy, Velocity, Energy
Joe M

<Herb D>
posted
Welcome aboard Finley.

We see your dad occasionaly at gun shows. He does very nice work.

Herb D

one of us
posted Hide Post
You can make nice small ovals out of old US 90% silver(1964 and before)halves. Almost any coin shop will have them for about $2.50 to $3 each. File, shape, and polish them and you have a nice piece of metal for engraving that will age and look good for a long time. Silver Dollars are a little more, but probably less than $10 for a standard circulated version. Just give you a bigger piece of metal to make an oval or shield out of. Easier for most people to get than sheet silver.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote