THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Are older Rem. 700 much better than the new ones?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are older Rem. 700 much better than the new ones?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I looked at one today, 7mm Rem., 23" bbl.,seemed much better made than the newer guns all around. It had a detachable floorplate, had a Weaver K4 mounted and a Williams peep b/u. Nice straight wood, Monte Carlo stock with Rem. soft recoil pad. Bore was good as was the trigger pull.

S?N is 8291X but I can't find anywhere to tell me when it was made. I did see that the 700 started production in 1962. They say you can date them from the letters stamped on the barrel,by the breech, this one is stamped ADK can anyone tell me when it was made.

It seems like a nice classic gun but I realize they are not held in any sort of regard compared to older M70's. What kind of price is fair in VG condition?

BTW it comes with a VERY nice leather case, a HUNTER #412 20

Thanks, Rob

Posts: 1692 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
yes the is a difference, my mid 80's manufacture rem 700 is alot nicer than the typical new rem 700, the bolt is super slick and operates like a hot knife through butter. picking up newer models revel the tollerences aren't as good, also mine is an ADL they even finished the wood a lot nicer back then. these where the 700's that made remington legendary for quaility and accuracy

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
the major difference in the newer 700's and the older versions is the lack of a "j" lock and the perceived decline in quality control. I have loaded for quite a few "j" lock models as well as own a few,..and don't see the quality control issues you are certain to hear about.

A fair rpice,..fo a VG condition rig would be $400-$500 in my estimate,..depending on the scope etc. I don't really place much value on the scope you have access to however. HTH

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, do you mind elaborating on the J lock? What is it and which ones have them the newer or the older ones?

rob

Posts: 1692 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
September- 1963

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Recoil Rob - I had a early 80's model 700 in 7mm Rem magnum and it was fantastic! Shot 160 partitions into 1/2" at 100 on a frequent basis. Sold it to a good friends brother in law who uses it for deer/bear in southeast Alaska. Great rifle IMHO - to answer your question about quality in new vs. older model 700's; I have a 338 made in 1988 and it shoots great as well as having nice fit/finish. My 700 titanium in 30/06 (several years old) also looks to be well made and it has been tested on a frequent basis; I did eliminate the "j lock" as it looked like something that could fail at the wrong moment. J locks are on the newer remington firearms, for about the last five or so years IIRC. KMule

Posts: 1300 | Location: Alaska.USA | Registered: 15 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
March 1983, according to date code.

Posts: 165 | Location: PA | Registered: 22 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My newer Remington rifles have a date stamp right on the barrel. My LSS is 94, Mountain LSS 97 and my Sendero is 98 but I don't recall if the older models had that date stamp on them too. While all of these are pre j lock the fit and finish is decent albeit stainless. I know the older Remington blued rifles were generally finished extremely well and in my opinion nicer than the new blued rifles.

Posts: 901 | Location: Denver, CO USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. There seems to be some discrepancy as to what the date is but I'd have to go with 1963 from the age of the scope and also from the other guns in the collection.

Just seems like a well made rifle for the type.

One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
I prefer the older Remingtons.....not sure why but I buy them used over new any day.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote