Find
Notify
Tools

Patching a stock cut for a peep sight
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted
I have a rifle that orinially had a long slide Lyman 48 sight, so the stock was cut to fit it. I Want to patch the stock. How do you guys fit the wood patch?

Thanks,

Dave

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3822 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good question.
I have an old Winchester that had that type insert done and other than the slight difference in wood of the inserted piece, it is near impossible to detect the insert.
Whoever did mine was an expert craftsman.

Bob Nisbet
DRSS & 348 Lever Winchester Lover
Temporarily Displaced Texan
If there's no food on your plate when dinner is done, you didn't get enough to eat.

Posts: 830 | Location: Texas and Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
sofaI would use a long slide Lyman 48. stir

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
If I can, I use my mill to square the slot and mill a plug. Acraglas it in place, shape, sand and finish.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hog Killer:
sofaI would use a long slide Lyman 48. stir

Keith

Yep!

Posts: 1682 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've heard of guys cutting a chunk of wood from under the buttplate/pad to get as close a match as possible. Never did it myself, though.

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Glen71:
I've heard of guys cutting a chunk of wood from under the buttplate/pad to get as close a match as possible. Never did it myself, though.

Yes, you can take a plunge router with a spiral cutting bit and use a collar and template. The template is made to cut an over sized patch. Position the template between the butt pad screw and plunge in deep enough to cover the patch area with 1/2 in extra. Remove the bit and insert a wooden wedge. Tap the wedge until the patch breaks out. Remove it, dress it square on the mating edge and epoxy to the correspondingly prepared edge on the stock. Shape and finish. You can also get donor wood from the barrel channel.

Posts: 3716 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote