New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hardening mauser action
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a '09 Argentine action that needs to be hardened. Is Pacific Metallurgical in Kent, WA still the hardener of choice?

Can't seem to get thru; worse than calling the SS Dept.

jmbn
Old and in the way

Posts: 278 | Location: Lakeview OR | Registered: 02 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have heard or read PacMet doesn't provide this service anymore. Try Blanchard (www.bmproc.com) in Utah.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Jim- I just talked to them and they are happy to do it.

jmbn
Old and in the way

Posts: 278 | Location: Lakeview OR | Registered: 02 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Might I ask what they want to perform that service?

Posts: 160 | Location: Homer, AK | Registered: 11 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
tel:801-972-5590- Call em'.

Posts: 1144 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
$150 for the first receiver. You have to specify in detail what you want done with regard to case depth and hardness.

Posts: 17181 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
dpcd- information I've gotten from this forum suggests a hardness of 48C for the bolt and 35 for the action, but I have no info on the depth. Do you have a suggestion for the depth?

jmbn
Old and in the way

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
but I have no info on the depth

It was recommended to me by way more knowledgeable custom guys to request the action to be somewhere between 36 & 40 Rockwell "C" and the bolt body 42 to 46 "C" and a depth of approximate .015 to .020 penetration. Those are the instructions I gave Blanchard when they heat treated a couple of my 1909's the last time I used them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've not told them exactly what do to, just tell them the caliber...They have a pretty long history of knowledge. Don't know how I'd test the results anyway

Posts: 3509 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Does a 1909 DWM action need to be hardened, Ive been told thats like painting a aluminum tin barn??

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41979 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Maybe, maybe not; those pre WW1 Mausers are very variable in hardness. However, if one is going to set back the lugs it will be those. (Not counting Chinese made ones)
Blanchard told me that I had to specify what I wanted. I always specify a hardness of 35-40 RC and a case depth of .010-.015. Which is what they recommended, years ago.
I never saw a bolt that needed hardening and I would not have that done.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pac Nor tested it and the action is 8 RC. Way to soft apparently.

jmbn
Old and in the way

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, likely, however, and not to start another hardness discussion from Hell, there is no way to actually test actions where it counts; on the lug locking surfaces. I would send it in.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just had a dozen Mauser '98s re-carburized at Blanchard last month (March '21). The cost was $165 for the first one and $50 for every action after the first. The 'paper work' they required stated they needed a copy of my FFL ( which wasn't a problem as I hold a license), written instruction (how hard and how deep), a means for return shipment (I provided a FedEx shipping label to be sent to me), and payment (my company check). Turnaround was about 3 weeks.

Posts: 698 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just checked the lugs on the bolt; a file wouldn't touch them.

jmbn
Old and in the way

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jerrymontgomery:
I just checked the lugs on the bolt; a file wouldn't touch them.
I'm like most others, I don't have the bolts re-carburized. In the past 30 some years I have seen exactly 2 bolts that had locking lug problems. Likely from 'hot rodding' or not proper head spacing. Both were chambered in magnums, 1 .264WM the other .338WM. For what it's worth, the action on the .264 was set back, too. The .338 was a military bolt stuck in a MK X.

Posts: 698 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is for a .257 Robvts. i don't need hot loads; I got that out of my system 50 years ago.

jmbn
Old and in the way

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive owned several 1909 DWMs, in 270, 30-06 and 7x57 and never had a problem, a file would bounce of the locking lugs...???? I suppose any action would fail if you used enough bullseye..Ive seen two pre 64 model 70s that came apart like a bomb, Mausers usually puff up, and FNs seem to be a culprit with magnum calibers...

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41979 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray- were ay of the Mausers tested and determined to be soft?

jmbn
Old and in the way

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Far from a professional, but I have built 50 plus guns; mostly on mausers. The only two out of them that suffered lug set back were both 1909 Argentines. I do not remember if both were SA made but at least one was. I knew of others that friends made on 09 Argy's with lug setback as well. None of these were wild calibers and none loaded very hot; 257 Roberts, 7x57, and 30-06. Get it heat treated and be done with it. It has been years but The Pacific place in Washington state was a bargain for bulk numbers. I went with Blanchards in Salt Lake City, Utah for my heat treats after that if I thought it was necessary.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1602 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help. guys. I drilled and tapped it today and it'll be on it's way manana.

jmbn
Old and in the way

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jerry M,
Actually no they were not tested, just used and worked up some stiff loads.. I was told by several very well known smiths that if the 1909 was by DWM, not to worry, but stay clear of that other Argentine 1909 by ??????, who I can't remember...What say you??

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine is by DWM, and is apparently too soft.

I think the other manufacturer is in Argentina. Seems like I read that somewhere, so it must be true.

jmbn
Old and in the way