Find
Notify
Tools

FN Model 1950 98 Mauser
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I hope someone can assist me:
I have a model 1950 FN Mauser, a military 98 that FN made in the early 1950s, factory chambered for 30-06. Since its made for 30-06, the magazine is longer than most 98s,I think.

I would to restock it but I don't don't see it listed in any stock suppliers lists of available actions. Can it interchange with any other 98 actions?

I don't mind inletting but i don't wand to have fill a void

Posts: 345 | Location: Dauphin Island, Alabama, USA | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Stock suppliers typically provide two types of stock for 98's; Military and Commercial. The footprint of the receiver is the same, the real difference is the bottom metal. The military is usually inletted for a K98k with a longer front tang to the bottom metal to accommodate the locking screws. The commercial has a shorter tang at front since the bottom metal doesn't have locking screws. FN military uses locking screws but the are located behind the action screw instead of in front of the action screw so the tang is short like the commercial model.

I suspect you will want to use a commercial stock and adjust the inletting accordingly. Best to check with the manufacturer.

Models like the 1909 Argentine have a longer tang but not as long as the "Military" type stock so it can get a bit tricky. Usually I'd advise getting the Commercial stock and adjusting the inletting if your bottom metal has a longer front tang.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Don't throw away the original stock if it's any good.

I've sporterised two of those rifles and both had well-grained walnut, clean of flutes, bolt-dismantling discs or any of the other crap the Germans inflicted on theirs.

There is so much 'meat' on the stocks that you can sculpt a near-classic sporting version from them.

Posts: 5089 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
You do realize that if you have a matching military FN 1950 mauser, in very good to excellent condition, once you alter it, you are potentially converting a $750 rifle into a $400 one?
I know, it's yours, of course.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ismith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
You do realize that if you have a matching military FN 1950 mauser, in very good to excellent condition, once you alter it, you are potentially converting a $750 rifle into a $400 one?
I know, it's yours, of course.

Gun market is weak right now. I have two nice rare FN Mausers on GB right now for $750 and no bids. I also have a matching numbers WWII bring back FN Yugoslavian 1924 that I've been trying to justify not using as the base for a nice sporting rifle. It's too bad the stock was butchered.

What force or guile could not subdue,
Thro' many warlike ages,
Is wrought now by a coward few,
For hireling traitor's wages.

Posts: 262 | Location: Montana | Registered: 17 January 2018Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to you all.

z1r: you've given me the right idea. I'll put the 1950 action into an old 1909 stock and see where the differences are. I should have thought of this myself.

sambarman338: I have the old stock, which I "customized" when I was about 15. I thought it great at the time but now I see it as very amateurish.

dpcd & ismith: I got the Mauser as a Christmas present from my Dad. At the time they went for $18.00 from Montgomery-Ward and were delivered in the mail.

Posts: 345 | Location: Dauphin Island, Alabama, USA | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ismith
posted Hide Post
Is it dated on the receiver?

Thro' many warlike ages,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
ismith: FN's are just not a hot item..At least for the custom market. Nice contract Mausers are snapped up quickly

Posts: 3610 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ismith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
ismith: FN's are just not a hot item..At least for the custom market. Nice contract Mausers are snapped up quickly

Well the East German rifle sold. It was far too nice to steal the receiver off of. I agree that the FN's aren't hot, it's a good time to buy some and set them aside.

Thro' many warlike ages,