Find
Notify
Tools

Rimrock fiberglass stock for 98 Mauser
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted
I want to know what others think of the Rimrock stock, based on your personal experience with it. It looks like the stock is no longer made from their web page. How does it compare to a McMillan? Just curious.

KB

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
I had one for some time. I believe I sold it (to Vapodog?) for about what I had paid ten years before.

I think that it was pretty well made, but it did have some issues. The reasons that I did not like it were:
- The flute on the comb did not fit my thumb/palm. Maybe the come nose was too far forward. I have never had this problem with any other stock.

- The grip was the "flared" style. I hate that.

- The stock is weakened when you cut it for the bolt handle. You break through the fiberglass shell and into the foam. Ditto on the cut that you have to make for the thumb notch.

- The recoil pad on mine was overground on at the toe and heel. (I have seem McMillians with the same problem.)

- The shell in the barrel channel was compromised when inletted for a #3 Shillen barrel.

- The sling mounts were mis-timed.(easy to fix)

- The shape of the cheek piece was a bit fruity.

Other than that it was great!

In all truth it was strong and light, just didn't fit me worth a darn.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
I think Tip Burns' son had one on a Mauser and liked it. Is this the Cloward design they inherited from Pacific Research?

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have installed perhaps 20 of them, between Pacific Research and Bodens. I think they are the nicest composite stock out there and was a bit disapointed when Borden dropped them. This is the design by Jim Borden and the stocks were made for Winchesters, Remington, Mausers and others.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an original Pacific Research and four Borden examples of this stock and, overall, I like it. I have had no problems in the 16 years I have had my original and have them on my minty P-64-.375H&H, two pristine P-64 .338s and my last P-64-Fwt.-30-06, ALL of which shoot tiny groups with warmish NP loads in these stocks.

I consider them superior to any other synthetic except my Mickys and wish they were still available, as I could use a few for various Mausers I need stocks for. I would gladly buy any such that anyone does not want.

Posts: 2366 | Location: "Land OF Shining Mountains"- British Columbia, Canada | Registered: 20 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
I have one Pacific Research and two Bordens and they have all received a lot of hard use and held up great. They are alot slimmer than Mickeys and they are my preference for light to medium calibers up to 375. I spent a couple hours yesterday handling a lot of Michael Petrov's early Springfield sporters and the Bordon stocks remind of them as they just are just as slim and trim.

The reason Jim Borden gave me for dropping the stocks is that there were way too many folks buying and fitting them themselves - with little or no experience at what they were doing - and then the next guy who owned the rifle would blame Borden for the poor workmanship.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4202 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
So question for Charles, Jim, Dewey and Phil. You guys seem to like your Rimrock stocks, How does the flute on the comb nose fit your right thumb/palm?

I shoot with my thumb over the grip and the Rimrock just did not seem to fit me at all. Maybe it was a mental thing, but shooting with the comb and flute "cramping" my hand reminded me oi walking with a pebble in my shoe.

Jason

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info.
The reason I asked is that I just acquired one, which is new - unaltered. It has not arrived yet, so I have never actually seen one of them. I remember hearing my gunsmith say something good about the stocks several years ago. The deal came up and I had to make a quick decision, so I bought it and figured that I could sort it out later. I thought it may be slimer than a McMillan, so I planned on using it for something light, like a 6.5x55, 7x57, 280, 7x64, 8x57 or maybe a 30-06.

Anyway, I always wanted to try one, but didn't get around to it before they stopped making them. So, I figured that if I didn't snag this one, then I could pretty much write off the idea of ever getting one.

I don't plan on doing the work myself, but instead having someone who knows what they are doing fit and finish it out. I have several FN actions to choose from, and barrel blanks in 6.5mm, 7mm, .308, 8mm, 9.3mm and .375.

KB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The stocks were originally designed by Jim Cloward, a WA state maker, who is of the "Al Biesen" school. I first found the comb nose a bit far forward, but, I got used to it. I have a lot of big game rifles, many different stocks and can adapt to most bolt guns, while levers, not so much.

Everyone is different, the best feeling synthetic I have ever had and I have tried most, was the Jerry Fisher-designed Micky made for AHR, but, since I do not now have an action to fit it, I let it go and am happy with other stocks.

For recoil, the thick comb and big cheekpiece of the Rimrock really suits me and is more comfy with maxed .338WM and .375H&H loads than any other. I STILL prefer the "Hunter's Compact Edge" from Micky for a mountain rifle and while IT'S grip is not "perfect" for MY mitts, I can hit what I aim at every so often.

Posts: 2366 | Location: "Land OF Shining Mountains"- British Columbia, Canada | Registered: 20 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
Here's some pictures of the comb, pistol grip and cheek piece.

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kabluewy:

Anyway, I always wanted to try one, but didn't get around to it before they stopped making them. So, I figured that if I didn't snag this one, then I could pretty much write off the idea of ever getting one.
KB

You were smart to jump on this one as you may never find one for sale again.

I remember when Rimrock was competing with Mcmillian. Mcmillian had a reply in the FAQ section of their website that stated something to the effect "We don't use a foam core in our stocks because they do nothing except add weight." Now I believe most all Mcmillian's have a foam core.

Jason

-Jason Brown

One of Us
posted Hide Post
One trick I learned from the Hill Country Rifle guys is that McMillan will inlet their "Sako Classic" pattern to fit other actions. I got my first one for a Winchester m70 that had McMillan's "Super Grade" pattern installed. The Sako Classic is much more trim throughout, and I now have this stock on 3 different Model 70s. It would be worth a call to McMillan to see if they would inlet for a Mauser.

Posts: 235 | Location: San Antonio, TX USA | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They will, I have a Sako Classic Edge for a Mauser here,waiting to go on one of my Brno 21/22 series rifles.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Borden on a prew64 '06. It is fine.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
Rimrock stock blank arrived today. Looks very well made. I think I'm gonna like it. Smiler

KB

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Borden Rimrock on my .375 Taylor with a MRC Model 1999 action. It is very trim, especially in the grip and has been rock solid. My POI has not changed in the 4-5 years that I've had it. No complaints....

MKane160

You can always make more money, you can never make more time...........LLYWD. Have you signed your donor card yet?

Posts: 488 | Location: TN | Registered: 03 January 2004Reply With Quote