Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester Hi-Wall
 Login/Join

posted
Have an older Win Hi-Wall with color cased receiver,currently chambered for 25 Krag Imp.Will this action take the pressure of a 25 WSSM and is there a way to change the extractor for the rimless round? Possible to use extractor from current Browning Hi-Wall? Thanks for any advice. Frank.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Frank, I work on older single shots quite a bit. I have been asked to do this several times and everytime have said no. The Hi-walls are strong actions but I don't feel that they are strong enough. I talked to the owner of Ballard Rifle company about it when they first came out and he said they would not do it on thier guns even with modern steel. Altering the extractor can be a pain in the ass also. I would try and move him to a classic rimmed cartridge that has stood the test of time. It would be better for both you and he. Plus the gun will maintain a higher value.

Michael

one of us
posted Hide Post
The color-case receivers are thought to be weaker than the blued ones. I would be reluctant to chamber one in any high pressure cartridge.