THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which rifle will be easiest to disassemble?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of T3Shooter
posted
My question is a follow-up to my previous post regarding the Travelling gun (again thanks for very informative replies). Which popular bolt action rifle is the easiest to remove barrelled action from the stock? – meaning smallest number of bolts/screws, no springs that can dislocate easily and get lost etc.
Thanks

Ladies and gentlemen, when I was a young boy I dreamed of being a baseball. But we have to go forward, not backwards, upwards, not forwards, and always twirling, twirling, twirling, towards freedom!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My vote would be for a Remington 700 in a HS Precision stock.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Winchester Model 70's and Mauser 98's are both pretty easy to put together and take apart.
(3 screws)

Garrett

Posts: 987 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
blasers make nice take down guns. also if you wanna go cheap an NEF will take down really easy just one screw in that case. other wise the remington with the HS stock gets my vote

in times when one needs a rifle, he tends to need it very badly.....PHC

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are just judging by number of pieces, it's hard to beat a Mauser. It has only two guard screws and the magazine box in integral to the guard. A Model 70, by comparison, has three (sometimes four) screws and a separate magazine box, triggerguard, and floorplate.

"There are only three kinds of people; those who can count, and those who can't."

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Glen71:
If you are just judging by number of pieces, it's hard to beat a Mauser. It has only two guard screws and the magazine box in integral to the guard. A Model 70, by comparison, has three (sometimes four) screws and a separate magazine box, triggerguard, and floorplate.

Now they just have two screws Wink

Williams Machine Works

Posts: 1021 | Location: Prineville, OR 97754 | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I find that third screw in the Model 70 to be a real chore. Roll Eyes

Chuck

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, most of the "standard" bolt action rifles amount to about the same trouble: mag box, follower and spring, 2 (3) action screws and 1 (2) piece(s) of bottom metal. Not a bunch of difference. What can be tricky, is how tight the gun is bedded in the stock, and how easy it comes out without ruining the bedding. Also, a QD scope mount makes life a bunch easier. Off the scope comes, and into the hand luggage, together with the backup scope, already sighted in.

Naturally, the very best rifles for this purpose, are the ones specifically designed for take-down. The Blaser R93 still requires a tool (hex key), but there are no screws to worry about loosing (captive in the stock). Even the mag box insert can stay in the stock, as long as you leave the bolt in the stock. Piece of cake.

The new Sauer Take-Down is even easier, requiring no tools what so ever, just like other rifles based on the same (Orth?) system. Johannsen and other (semi-)custom manufacturers make these.

Going into break-top, single shot rifles, offerings like the Blaser K95, K77 and the Merkel K1/K2 take down in about 5 seconds with no tools required. Just like a good O/U shotgun. Sweet!
- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
In a more general sense, the blind magazine rifles like Savage and the Remington ADL or the Colt Light Rifle have the fewest parts since the trigger guard/bow remains attached to the stock via a third screw you won't touch.
Two screws and two parts; not three. That assumes you rivet, glue or otherwise attach the magazine spring and follower to the stock.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11141 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is possible to modify the action screws so that they do not drop out - as per my custom take down. Can't tell you how it's done as I can't see it!

A take down rifle needs a darn good case. The barreled action makes a good strengthener for preventing the stock breaking at the wrist but the action inlet is unsupported by the action. Any pressure through the case can result in damage.

one of us
posted Hide Post
You guys sure make this sound like more trouble than I go through when I take my Mauser or Winchester apart for airline travel.

I have them in synthetic stocks, which I just tuck into the main bag.

Takes about 5 minutes, and they always come back very closely to zero (within a half inch at 100 yards).

Garrett

Posts: 987 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Depends on the frequency of disassembly. Any factory rifle will stand a reasonble amount of taking apart and reassembling.
A purpose-built rifle that will see dozens of cycles needs a little help in some areas for durability.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11141 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote