THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    My gold inlay technique for lettering. Photo heavy!

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My gold inlay technique for lettering. Photo heavy!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted
Duane Wiebe approached me with the idea of doing a funeral style engraving job on his client's shotgun.

The client is a professional hunter who has been using the shortened 10ga. Aya double for many years as his backup gun for cats. He decided to have Duane turn it into a proper African stopper. Duane restocked the gun, added extended tangs and false sideplates along with a new triggerguard.

My job was to inlay the clients name into the sideplates with Old English lettering, border and stipple the top of the action and engrave what seemed like a shoe box full of various sized screws.

Here's the finished sideplate:

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

Posts: 1632 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
First thing after layout is cutting the fine lines and the outline of the thick stems. The fine lines are about .008" across and the thick stems are roughly .020"

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

Posts: 1632 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
The gravers I use for this work are the 110 degree V cutter for the bulk of the cutting. I use this wide graver to get the clearance I need to cut the tight radii without tearing up the side walls of letter stems. The cutter with the long face is a 60 degree graver with the point dubbed off to make a very small flat. I use this tool to knock in the keys that mechanically lock the gold into the cavity. I normally cut the dovetails, but the turns are just too tight to allow cutter clearance in lettering.

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
Here's the lettering with the cavity cut for the thick stems:

Close up of the same with the flat graver:

Another close up with all the corners and edges cleaned up and ready for the dovetails. Clean up was done with the 110 degree V graver.

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
All the dovetails hammered into the lettering with the 60 degree graver:

Close up for more detail:

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
This photo shows the begining stages of inserting the gold. The inlay requires that the wire fits the cavity fairly closely. Otherwise, it won't fill the cavity or flow into the dovetail properly. Here's 3 different sized wires used in the space of about .040".

With this pic you can see that all the segments are started. Where the individual pieces meet, I cut a shallow V so one piece won't flow over the other as I'm hammering the gold.

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
Gold all hammered in except where it will meet a new piece of wire. It's important that all new segments are seated at the same time so there won't be a joint line.

All the overflow cut off with a wide flat graver. I lean the graver toward the edge so it leaves the gold domed in the middle. I do this to confirm that the gold has completely filled the cavity. If there's a void, I have enough gold domed in the center to completely fill the inlay with a bit more hammer and punch work.

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
All in!

In this pic, I've gone over all the gold with my punch one more time just for the assurance that it's all seated. Then another once over with the wide flat graver to flush the gold with the base metal. Makes for less stoning work.

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
Polished with a 400 grit stone and oil:

Now it's polished with a very soft water stone. This stone breaks down very quickly and doesn't load up with gold. The stone is known by various names. The label says Tam O'Shanter. I call it a scotch stone (They are made in Scotland).

Finally, polished with 2000 grit wet or dry and oil.

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
Done!

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
Wow! Great photos and one heckuva tutorial. Thank you.

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That is a dump truck load of work.

What magnification optic do you use to see such fine work?

I am very impressed.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
5-6x for the general work and 10-15x on the detailed work.

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

one of us
posted Hide Post
OK, I used to use 8x for fine surgical work. Much more would cause a headache. Thank you so much for sharing your work and technique - fascinating.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The owner hasn't even seen this yet...Wow! Roger...are you going to show the balance of engraving? This is fantastic stuff!! And...not a bit bashful about showing the technique. Hell... how many could do it anyway?

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I'll keep my day job...that is amazing!

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Roger, that gives me a better appreciation for my bill! Beautiful.

Mike

Posts: 21391 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Masterful work!

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Amazing, I take it you don't drink coffee!

Posts: 427 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My head hurts.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Roger this is a great tutorial!! I was in one of John Barraclough's class at TSJC years ago and he taught very similar to your tutorial.

What Microscope are you using? It would be good for you to show your setup.

I hope someone young enough will take an interest in engraving and maybe become a great engraver in say 10 to 15 yrs.

Les Brooks, retired gunsmith

Posts: 965 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Thank you roger! I appreciate your work even more!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing Roger. Posts like these generate greater appreciation for the time and attention to detail it takes to do custom projects right the first time.

The gold lettering looks pretty "simple" from a finished prospective. Seeing the behind the scenes sausage making really sheds some light on how much work is really required.

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1852 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would like to see a picture of the whole gun

Posts: 19443 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
James,

Works out to an hour per letter. Almost 2 for the cap.

I think Duane will post photos of the completed gun when he gets it assembled.

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Kehr -

Your work is truely amazing. Reminds me of a quote I heard recently:

Talent is what you are born with, skill is earned.

You have both talent and a huge amount of skill. When it comes to engraving, I have neither, but can appreciate that of others.

Thank you for sharing.

A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in. --- Greek Proverb

Posts: 714 | Location: Sorexcuse, NY | Registered: 14 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of olcrip
posted Hide Post
Roger, there is a vast difference between a mechanic that replaces parts and a true CRAFTSMAN. You sir are a true Craftsman! The sad thing is that we are loosing our Guild quality Craftsmen faster than the next generation coming up to fill their shoes. That truly is a sad day. I am grateful for the privilege of seeing your kind of skill in my lifetime. You don't get this kind of skill punching computer keys like this next generation. Craftsmen are like flowers, it's been a privilege to enjoy your garden!

salute

Olcrip,
Nuclear Grade UBC Ret.
NRA Life Member, December 2009

Politicians should wear Nascar Driver's jump suites so we can tell who their corporate sponsers are!

Posts: 1800 | Location: River City, USA. East of the Mississippi | Registered: 10 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of .404
posted Hide Post
You are blessed with a real talent...Bravo!

I pray for mud on my boots the day I die...
Go see the nights of Africa.....

Posts: 208 | Location: back home in the Tarheel state | Registered: 16 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roger, I know I speak for others here who really appreciate not only showing pictures of your beautiful work, but also sharing how you do it. Question: how long did it take you to learn to do really good engraving?

Thanks!

MK160

MK160

Posts: 58 | Location: East TN | Registered: 22 January 2011Reply With Quote