New
Find
Notify
Tools

MRC Short Action - .240 Weatherby?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
The new MRC short action has a magazine length of 3.125". Though the .240 Weatherby case is long for what would typically be seen in a short action, @ 2.500", the cartridge OAL is 3.062". Since the bolt face is compatible, is it OK to assume this would work? I can't see a reason why not, but then I'm no genius.

Posts: 92 | Location: Tracy, CA | Registered: 15 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
I'm not a genius either, but there isn't any reason it won't work. Only problem you'll have is getting the chamber work throated short. The Weatherby specs call for a .168" throat which may be longer than you want. That means load data would likely not be valid with the shorter throat and you'd have higher pressures, the reason the Weatherby's were throated long.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob,
I don't necessarily need or want the long throat, but that's a good point, one I hadn't thought of. I'll be primarily shooting the heavier 6mm bullets, 95-105 grains, so would like it throated on the long side so that the bullet bases don't go below the case neck, yet still have the bullet bearing surface close to the lands. I'll start low on the reloads and work up slowly using velocity as a pressure indicator. I figure 3,200 fps from a 24" barrel is about as far as I should go. Thanks for your comments!
Joe

[ 07-16-2003, 09:33: Message edited by: JKuczmarski ]

Posts: 92 | Location: Tracy, CA | Registered: 15 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No genius here, either, though I play one for my wife. But it seems straightforward to me. The throating issue has nothing to do with action size. Take that up with your smith regardless.
You could do that with any 2.5" case, if your smith will throat it appropriately. A 6mm-06 set up like this would have a hair more capacity and much cheaper brass, for instance. You might find it easier to get someone to cut a non-standard chamber for a wildcat than for a SAAMI cartridge, what with lawyers and all. Short-throat a Weatherby and fire an over-the-counter round and you may have big troubles.

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote