Find
Notify
Tools

Savage Model 340 Series E 22 Hornet
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Rich Jake
posted
I have a Savage Model 340 Series E in 22 Hornet that belonged to my father. He gave me some bullets for the rifle to reload. What I would like to know if anyone knows the actual bore diameter? The bullets had were .223's. Is that rifle .223 0r .224??? I'd like to know what could be used in this rifle. Thanks for the help.

Posts: 1213 | Location: Middletown NY USA | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's .224 cal. Most of the early 22 hornets that were .223 were rifles built up and a 22 rimfire barrel was used to barrel the action. The production rifles are nearly all .224 cal. By the way, your old Sav. 340's are usually one damned accurate rifle. I see the new Savage Model 40 is pretty close to the same as the old 340 was. Load it with a 35 gr. V-Max and about 11.4 grs of AA #9C over a pistol primer (Right at 3000 fps.) and you'll have a real squirrel and Rockchunk Cannon. Godsdog.

one of us
Picture of Rich Jake
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info I'll have to try that combo as well. I want to try the Speer 33 grain tnt's with lil gun powder

Posts: 1213 | Location: Middletown NY USA | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote