Find
Notify
Tools

Bead blasted finish, what media do I need
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted
I'm about to teflon finish a beat up old Mauser MarkX action. The guy at Brownells told me a bead blasted finish would work the best when I bought the teflon spray.

I've lined up the use of blasting gun, but the owner tells me the only media he has is some kind of heavy oxide media and he's sure it'll be too abrasive for what I need.

I'm assuming glass bead media is what I need, right? Does this stuff come in different grits? There is a Harbor Frieght Tools in town that sells this stuff in 80 grit. Will that work?

This whole project has been a hoot [Big Grin] I've gone way over budget , but I've enjoyed doing it.

Thanks,
Terry

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Glass alone is too glossy, and aluminum alone is too abrasive. I mixed to two and came up with a great finish. I think they are about 80 grit. MSC has them all, and I think they have some that are already mixed.

Posts: 135 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 07 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Please forgive my ignorance, but who is MSC and how do I get in touch with them?

Thanks [Wink]

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MSC is a big industrial supplier. Their catalog is free, 3" thick, and a great resource.
800-645-7270

Posts: 135 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 07 September 2003Reply With Quote