New
Find
Notify
Tools

stock problem
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
have just taken delivery of a my synthetic stock from a reputable manufacturer, after 20 weeks of waitng it finally arrived,to say i was pissed off with it was an understatement!!!
1. it was'nt finished off properly.
2. the trigger/magazine assembly sits proud of the stock.
3. the sling swivel is off centre.

but what the hell after 20 weeks I was going to persevere with it!!

one of the main problems was the recoil lug was moulded into my old stock, so had to cut it out, no going back now!
so glass bedded the recoil lug and 1" of barrell.
Things looked good until I tried to close the bolt,
it fouled the top of the magazine by approx 2mm, so shaved off 2mm off the mag.
works great now!!!
but I have 2 mags!

Question.
is it posible to raise the action 2mm by glass bedding?

many thanks

Griff

Posts: 1179 | Location: scotland | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Griff what action are you talking about? & Whos stock. The problem can be better assessed if this is known. Different manufactures use different type cores for the stocks. Do not be shy nameing names on AR. It's not on a Scots nature to hold back anyway. [Big Grin]

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Bear Claw
its a tikka LA, I'm not going to mention the maker of the stock, because if I can't solve this problem from this side of the pond then he is going to have reimburse me quite substantially, and slagging them off on AR is not going to help the matter.

Griff

one of us
posted Hide Post
Is 20 weeks delivery time any kind of hint?

To answer your question: yes, I think it is possible to raise the action 2mm by glass bedding, but then you'll have other problems, such as a barrel "free-floated" by 2mm, that sits less then 50% into the barrel channel and looks funny. I did this with a wood stock -- still trying to figure out how to fix it. I'm thinking I'll probably be digging that bedding out.

Todd

[ 09-15-2002, 01:38: Message edited by: Todd Getzen ]

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just tookl delivery on 32 stocks by the same outfit I think. Only thing is, the first two took 24 weeks and the last one took 18. Man, what a relief! Seriously, the same problem arose with the last one, a model 70 mag action fit the stock inletting but the floorplate and trigger guard are proud of the blttom of the stock, Now what? Oh, incidently, the first one was for a Sako L479. I had to send in the barrel so they could write a program for it. It came back with the barrel inlet about .100" bigger on each side than the action inletting. I had to send it back to Phoenix for repair.

JIM

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sdorry, that should have been 3 stocks. Maybe they got the same problem I got, no proof read.

Jim

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Jim,
Sounds like you bought from the same company I did.

Griff

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim Kobe,
Shame on you, you let the cat out of the bag when you said Phoenix. Of coarse when a waiting time of 20 weeks is mentioned everybody already knows who's who. [Wink] Pete

Posts: 382 | Location: Lewiston, Idaho--USA | Registered: 11 February 2002Reply With Quote