Find
Notify
Tools

shall I ackley improve my 3030s?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi
I read on the internet that i can acheive 2700 fps and 150"the same load hemingway killed all manner of games in africa" gr in 3030 AI with the same pressure as a 3030 . it is a conciderable improvment. shall i AI my two 3030s one savage340 and another savage v 24. does these guns can manage the the AI rounds? if you have some experience with 3030AI please tell me about it.
regards
danny

Posts: 1127 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I suppose they can be reamed out. Since neither gun is all that fine I would invest the money in a .308 etc. Trade the 340 off to someone.

You can do a search using www.boardreader.com for topics on stuff.

It's going to be spring here around the middle of March. Do you think we can hold out? Right now it's 0 F here in CT, USA at 10:51 AM and the sun is out!

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Some causes for concern:
1) What dies will you use? What is the quality? How much will you pay? I try to never get involved with a caliber that Forster does not make dies for.
2) The Win 94 is a light and fast pointing rifle. It kicks about as hard as one would want. A recoil pad may slow it down.
3) Quickload says the capacity only improves from 45 to 47 gr. of water.
4) The shoulder only improves from .4030" to .4100" diameter.

On the plus side:
1) Those that have 30-30AI seem to love them.
2) They seem to feed.
3) The shoulder can move forward from 1.392" to 1.562" becuase the cartridge headspaces on the rim.
4) As Ackley points out, the stress on the action is reduced by brass gripping the chamber wall to the point that the only pressure concern is the chamber bursting from hoop stress.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 2700fps sounds a bit optimistic, especially from a shorter barrel like your Savages' have. That puts it in the same ball park as .308 Winchester. The numbers may have been generated in a 24 or 26 inch barrel which will help. A Gunsmith friend has a Winchester 64 in AI and he says the improvement is more in the 100-200fps range. I've never bothered with the AI because I have a .308 that I load to those levels but it may be worth while for you to hot rod those Savages.

Good luck.

Posts: 338 | Location: Johnsburg, Illinois | Registered: 15 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They are your guns, so you do what you wish with them. My advice is that 2700 fps from the improved case would be unrealistic, and that the money you would spend on rechambering and new dies could be better applied to a new rifle. After all, for the same money, wouldn't you rather have your two current rifles, plus a third?

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like my Savage 340 "as is." It is a light handy rifle that feels like I am toting a .22. Also, I load 130 gr Interlocks or 150 gr spitzers so I gain down-range performance in the standard chamber. The magazine length does dictate what bullets you can use, though. With a load it likes, my 340 shoots 5/8-inch groups regularly.

One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
I've yet to find any of the ackley improvements worth the time and effort. The 2700 figure I agree is unrealistic...it don't add up at the original pressures...that from 50,000 PSI pressures.

It's your money and you do what you want to...that's your right...but I too would advise that you get a .308 if you want 2,700'/sec...it's just a matter of economics.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
Danny,

Nobody I ever knew who had a .30-30 AI got 2700 fps with the 150 gr. Muzzle velocity topped out at about 2550 fps.

One fellow actually tested his barrel before and after rechambering to the .30-30 AI and he is the fellow who got 2550 fps from the AI. His .30-30 standard got 2370 fps. That is still a substantial improvement and frankly 2500 fps is about as fast as I'd want to move a flat point 150 gr. made for the .30-30. Of course that wouldn't matter if using a spire point. I personally like the Speer MagTip for this use.

My personal interest would be more towards moving the 170 gr. at about 2400 fps although 2350 fps is a more realistic maximum. That about equals the .303 British service round. Very good ballistics indeed.

So should you do this? Well, do you want to? If so, then do it. You only live once.

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
As has been said the change is not worth it. Iwas going to say to get an 06 but I see you live in Sweden. Your home grown 6.5X55 will out perform the 30/30 IMP. every time. The one thing you can do is use spire or psp bullets in your 340.There will be a modest gain in trajectory and range. roger

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I found a cheap set of used 30-30 imp dies .... then had to try it! My Marlin will do just about 2600 fps, but that is a max load and likely 2550 would be more like factory pressure. Nice cartridge all in all, but dies are pricey new.

Posts: 941 | Location: VT | Registered: 17 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you don't mind Lee dies I think they make a set that runs abour 30 bucks.

Posts: 192 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote