New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dumb Azz Re-Chambering Question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Ok, here it is... Every once in a while I see Mauser 98's in some kind of sporter for sale in cal 9.3X57

Is a re-chamber to 9.3X62 a viable and cost effective option??

Thanks

All

MopaneMike

Posts: 1112 | Location: Southern California USA | Registered: 21 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
If you have a 98 in 9.3x57 and handload you will see very little gain for your effort. Most 9.3x57's are built on the 96 action.

Depending on the age of the rifle you may want to do a chamber cast first to ensure the chamber will be cleaned up. Many of the older 9.3x57's had generous chambers.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
z1r..

No, I would only consider a 98 action rifle.

Question is still on the table..

MopaneMike

Posts: 1112 | Location: Southern California USA | Registered: 21 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Depends on your idea of what cost effective is?

Assuming you already had the rifle or at least a line on one at a reasonable price, the reamer, and the know how, yes, it could be cheaper than say buying a new cz550.

But, if you have to pay someone to do the work, can't get the rifle for say under $400, then the cz550 will most likely be the better deal. And, I think Jeff may have mentioned this in the other forum, you may also need some magazine modifications to ensure sufficient length as well as good feeding.

As Z1R said, in a 98 you will see about as much gain for your rechambering efforts as you would by going from 8x57 to 8mm-06. Not much. The 9.3x57 in a 98 is no slouch.

I've done a couple of these and the primary reason was to correct an oversized chamber for fellas that only shot factory loads. But be carefull, the chambers are sometimes so big that just reaming a new chamber still may not fully remove the old chamber.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aahh,

Rem721 that is the answer I was looking for.. Lot of the old school Mauser 98s sporter style rifles of that era appeal to me. I was hoping it would be a simple ream and ramp job to get it up and running..

Thanks..

MopaneMike