Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Buying guns online
 Login/Join

posted
Okay, I realize this isn't a gunsmithing question, but I thought I'd post it here anyway.

Does anyone have any experience buying guns online? I'm looking at purchasing a Browning Citori, and Able Ammo has them well below local retail. Free shipping and no sales tax means an almost $200 net savings, even with a transfer fee to a ffl holder.

Any specific word on Able Ammo or general guidance on buying guns online would be appreciated!

Mark

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It can be done successfully, but be careful. Every once in a while someone gets a raw deal. Ask for a 3 day inspection period. Check references. Ask for emailed pictures of the gun. Keep your fingers crossed.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I can't speak for anyone else, but I have had very good luck (and good service) buying on line.

I do not know of Able Ammo, so cannot comment on them. One of the first things I look for in a dealer is whether they take plastic or not. If they do, they are usually pretty well set-up and not operating out of their garage. Then, I buy using the plastic. If the goods do not arrive, I don't pay the credit card company for the item. Then the card company goes after the seller, and they are much more able to do so than I am. Be sure NOT to send anyone your credit card number by e-mail. If they have a "secure check-out" program, that is usually safe, but if not, call them and give the number over the phone.

It is worth noting that mail fraud in gun sales is a federal offense in the U.S....if stiffed you can report them to BATF and THEY will go after them too.

Having said all that, I have had no problems buying from private individuals either...of course I have them ship to my dealer and I send them a copy of his FFL. Then I 4473 them from my dealer to me.

If you really worry about the would-be seller, ask them the name of the wholesaler who supplied the firearm. You can always check to see if the outfit from whom you're buying is known by the purported wholesaler. If the wholesaler doesn't know them, don't proceed. If they don't pay the wholesaler, particularly if it is Browning, the wholesaler will cut them off within about 4 months and often will tell you so. One of our local store-front dealers stiffed Browning about 5 years ago, and they refused to sell him any more guns, even for cash.

Anyway, the same rule of thumb applies as in everything else in life. If your "comfort" alarm goes off anywhere in the deal, shut it down. You can always find another gun for sale.

AC

[ 11-14-2003, 02:11: Message edited by: Alberta Canuck ]

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have bought a lot of firearms and accessories in the past few years, and got stung on one $16 clip deal. Feedback is important. Some pay with Postal Money Orders for added security.

Posts: 200 | Location: Tin Top .Texas | Registered: 21 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had good luck as well, but as mentioned you need to be careful. Check out feedback, and correspond with the seller as well as others who have dealt with them. Make sure you get the 3 day inspection as well. You need to know what you want (as you obviously do) and what it's worth (ditto). After that, pay with CC or Postal Money order and you should be o.k. as both those means of payment offer protection from fraud. Good luck!

Joe

Posts: 55 | Location: Corunna, MI, USA | Registered: 21 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have bought several firearms online and have had good success with each transaction. I would do it again in a heartbeat if I thought the deal was good. Save a printout of everything, though, until the deal is done.

Posts: 33 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 18 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have bought dozens on line and sold one.
I found an old guy who does the transfer for $12.50 long guns and $15 pistols.
He is an old fashoned kitchen table FFL.
The BATF went to his house and could not find a comma out of place and never came back.
I found him through the Shotgun News FFL locator on thier web site.

I get copies of his FFL signed in blue ink and send one to the seller with a check. The seller sends the gun to the adress written on the copy of the FFL. The guy with the FFL calls me up when the gun arrives and I go to his house. He calls up the instant check system. I fill out form 4473. I pay the $12.50 to the old guy. I leave with the gun.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote