THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to determine proper recoil lug contact?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a rifle that is giving me some issues and I suspect a stock fit problem. It's an savage with the el-cheapo plastic stock. Most such stocks have served their purpose for me so far.

So, how do I check the recoil lug contact with the stock? Same for the pillar bedding? I figure the recoil lug is not making correct contact or the pillars are off causing them to act like a recoil lug.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Inletting black?

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
yes

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Justin B:
yes

I’m normally better on multiple choice questions! Smiler

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Guess I'll try some lipstick.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dunlap's advice on inletting is something to the effect that more inletting jobs have been ruined by trying to get the recoil lug perfect than anything.

IIRC.

LOL.

It's been a while, but I think he advised using a piece of clay, or something like that, to find out how the lug fits the stock.

flaco

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It ain’t all the difficult to cut some stock material away and glass bed the back of the lug so you know for certain how it fits.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rick, that is my solution anymore. I can get a very good fit without it, but it seems like you can always improve on it, if even just a bit. In the long run it is far quicker and better to glass it.

BTW, I was going to just say "yes" but that option was already taken.

On another note, I have not seen the bore sighting gizmo yet.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Customstox:
Rick, that is my solution anymore. I can get a very good fit without it, but it seems like you can always improve on it, if even just a bit. In the long run it is far quicker and better to glass it.

BTW, I was going to just say "yes" but that option was already taken.

On another note, I have not seen the bore sighting gizmo yet.

Chic,

Sorry about that brother, I brought it to the show in Reno...but guess who was a no-show! Smiler

Anyway, I’ll send up the proto-type but you have to share it with Bill Soverns. Between the two of you I’m sure you can come up with a bunch of reasons why I’m wasting my time with it. When you see Bill ask him to show you the slick 3rd-Leg I sent him. I might start producing those suckers also in my copious amounts of spare time! Smiler

I’m still waiting for Dave Kiff to finish the specialized tooling (cutters) I need to mass produce the laser tools. Once I get the cutters I can pump them out pretty quick I think.