Find
Notify
Tools

Rifle Barrels
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted
QUESTION...Do you think buying a (new) barrel from anyone other than the manufacture is as good as buying from them directly, or could they be seconds?
Do you think it really matters one way or another? Found one I wouldnt have to wait on! Add said it is covered by manufactures warranty.

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Concho42
posted Hide Post
I have seen barrels that are not straight and not stress relieved so when installed and shot they hit everything but the target bulls eye !
spend your money on a Brand name that has proven itself .

Don't take the chip !

Posts: 578 | Location: PA | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Depends on who the seller is. A shop or smith that has a good reputation no issue. Picking up an unknown off EBay I'd have second thoughts.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would expect a good discount buying off Ebay vs direct from a manufacturer to cover some of the risk.

That said, manufacturers aren't going to hand out replacement barrels without a good compelling reason no matter where you bought it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
There are several businesses offering in-stock barrels from custom makers due to the increasing backlog and wait times. The barrels they have in-stock are every bit as good as one ordered from the company directly. I know bugholes stocks Brux, Rock Creek, Bartlien, Krieger, and Mullerworks, oh, and Obermeyer occasionally. If the barrel you want is in stock, price is the same as ordering direct and you'll have it the same week vs. 8-12 weeks???

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1183 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Guess I'll find out...ordered a Bartlein barrel from Grizzly tool. Will be here in 3 to 5 days. Smiler

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Midway, Brownells, Bugholes and Grizzly are the only places I would buy a barrel outside of the Manufactuerer.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve,
You made a wise choice.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all, first time buying outside of supplier.
Butch...I hope it lives up to all the hype!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is not hype, Sir.
Alan Warner

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd think you were safe there. Grizzly has a reputation to maintain.

What are you building?

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Sorry Rich, didnt see that last response. 6mm Remington Ackley Improved.

One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Recieved it a couple days ago...have a way to bore scope it at work...thats always fun.

One of Us
Picture of emron
posted Hide Post
For what its worth, I have bought two Bartlein barrels from Grizzly. Both extremely accurate. Selling rifle barrels is a fraction of the Grizzly business. I believe I read somewhere that the owner is a competitive shooter and stocks the barrels to support the sport.

Posts: 396 | Location: usa | Registered: 26 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Yup, I dont think there is going to be any problems, its a good barrel as far as bore scoping. Yes the owner of Grizzly Tools is a competitive shooter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shiraz is one of the best FClass shooters in the USA and he is, was captain of our National FClass team.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Butch he drinks Koolaid too...

Posts: 322 | Location: Youngsville, NC | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I tip my hat to a man that can shoot like that...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If the barrel is new and one of the better barrel makers, whats wrong with buying a barrel from an individual. Douglas, Lothar Walthers, Krieger, etc. will stand behind one of their barrels. Cheap barrels are risky. I will only use the high dollar barrels on my guns..The barrel is the very heart of an accurate rifle and its not the place to skimp..When you finish a gun and it looks fine and your proud of it, then it shoots 4 inches at 100 yards its a real downer. pissers

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
If the barrel is new and one of the better barrel makers, whats wrong with buying a barrel from an individual. Douglas, Lothar Walthers, Krieger, etc. will stand behind one of their barrels. Cheap barrels are risky. I will only use the high dollar barrels on my guns..The barrel is the very heart of an accurate rifle and its not the place to skimp..When you finish a gun and it looks fine and your proud of it, then it shoots 4 inches at 100 yards its a real downer. pissers

Nothing at all but Grizzly keeps many Bartlien barrels in stock so you don't have to wait 3 months are longer to get what you need.

Are you saying Bartlein doesn't make good barrels?

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
First, premium grade barrels from the top makers are a class above OEM barrels. Even the best barrel makers have an occasional disapointment. How the deal with that situation set them appart fron each other. I prefer to provide my customers their new barrels. Both my barrel suppliers and myself guarentee our barrels and work. That is impossible to do when the customer supplies their own barrel. I buy and sell enough barrels that I get dealer pricing and prefered delivery times. I pass on a savings to my customer. This policy is a win win for my customers. I believe most other professional gunsmiths do the same for their customers.
Nat Lambeth

Posts: 322 | Location: Youngsville, NC | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote