New
Find
Notify
Tools

feeding the .220 Swift in a FN mauser
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'd like to have one of my pre-64 M70s re-barreled for the swift, but the cost of magazine box, short follower, etc. is high. SO, what is needed to accomplish this using a FN commercial action? And if that too is so costly, what about the .22-250 in the same actions? Who here has done these and how tough has the feeding issue been? thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not an FN, but I had a custom 22-250 barrel installed on tang safety Ruger that was originally chambered for 25/06Rem. It feeds flawlessly without any magazine alterations. There were those who scoffed at the idea but if it works, it works.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1191 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
You won't need anything; they will feed fine, even from your M70. Mag boxes are very forgiving except in extreme cases. Get it? Cases. Unintended joke.
I put all manner of short cases on long actions. Without issue. Usually.

Posts: 17191 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an FN Mauser in 220 Swift. If you need pictures or any measurements let me know.

Jim

Posts: 548 | Location: Winter, Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 19 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim: See my PM. thanks

dan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here are pictures of my magazine box, follower, etc.

Jim

Posts: 548 | Location: Winter, Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 19 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The other magazine box is from a FN 30-06.

Jim

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Very cool. Can you put the follower in the bottom of the magazine and stack three rounds in there and take a pic from the top? I’d love to see the orientation of the cases and the mag box sides/end.

That’s a factory rifle?

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
It will work without that spacer and short follower. And they didn't change the trigger guard/box dimensions. Just blocked it off.

Posts: 17191 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thank you much Jim. Great detailed pictures !

One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Can you put the follower in the bottom of the magazine and stack three rounds in there and take a pic from the top?"

The spring is inserted backwards and I would have to pry it out which I won't do because I'm sure I would break the spring and I doubt they are readily available. So I assembled the rifle and inserted 5 rounds in the magazine.

"That’s a factory rifle?"

The SN on the receiver matches the SN on the barrel (369xx). There's no markings on the trigger guard. The stock and trigger were replaced.

Jim

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Understand re:the spring. Thanks for the additional pics. That’s a neat rifle.