New
Find
Notify
Tools

Titanium Nitride
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Has anyone worked with titanium nitride on firearms? Its the toughest, slickest finish I have ever seen on knives and tools. The hydraulic cylinders on some of my equipment are coated with it and after thousands of hours they remain un- marked. What would it cost to have a barreled action coated with it?

Joe

Posts: 263 | Location: Where ever Bush sends me | Registered: 13 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It must cost at least $1000 to coat the whole rifle and I don't think they can spray the particles very deep. One source I used to deal with could not coat a cavity of about 7" deep. For the action I think it should be okay. Good luck!

Posts: 204 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Check here: web page

I have seen some done by these guys. Very durable finish.

Posts: 47 | Location: Hurricane, UT | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Here's a link to a company that does iron nitride coatings. It would be the perfect finish for a rifle, but I think the furnace temp would be a problem.

Macsteel Web Page

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Nathan Meckel of Molecular Metalurgy (see the link above) has done quite a bit with TiN coatings in firearms. He has donated some coating gun work for our SCI fund raisers here in San Diego.

This stuff is harder than woodpecker lips, and has some interesting properties.

jim dodd

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, I sent nathan an email.

Joe

Posts: 263 | Location: Where ever Bush sends me | Registered: 13 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Stryker225
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Thanks guys, I sent nathan an email.

Joe

Can you please report back the pricing and details?

PM me if you must.

Thanks!

Posts: 1282 | Location: here | Registered: 26 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sure, not a problem.