THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Looking for a Magnum Mauser type action or complete rifle

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for a Magnum Mauser type action or complete rifle
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Wildcatter
posted
I posted this message in the classifieds:::

Hello all,
I recently purchased a complete rifle from Mark H. Young on this forum. It is based on a Bauska Magnum Mauser action which holds five rounds of 416 Rem ammunition. My dad has fallen in love with the action and wishes to buy one similar. What I am looking for is a Brno BBK-01 or 02, another Bauska,an Olyarms BBK-02, or other true Magnum Mauser action or complete rifle that will accept 5 rounds of standard magnum ammunition and has a magazine length of 3.85 inches. I would rather find this with uncut double square bridges or if cut, machined for Warne or Talley rings. I will entertain any caliber or configuration. I am not interested in the CZ 550 action because of the safety operation.

I am taking the 416 in for some upgrades and machining and was thinking that we could start on my dad's rifle at the same time if I can find the action.

Also, does anyone know who makes a very lightweight synthetic stock for these action types?

Thanks,

Wildcatter

Posts: 788 | Location: Central Texas, U.S. | Registered: 20 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wildcatter,don't know if this will help or not but pop over to Auction Arms and do a search there have been a few of those on that site that were not sold you may be able to contact the sellers and pick one up

Posts: 1529 | Location: Tidewater,Virginia | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know the whereabouts of an Interarms Magnum Mauser action if you're interested.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try Olympic Arms, makers of the Ultra Mag, the replacement for the BBK. http://www.olyarms.com/

When you order one, tell the gents at Oly Arms that you do not want the bridges drilled & tapped or machined. Have your gun builder machine the bridges for the rings of your choice.

I have a couple of the Ultra Mag actions, they need a fair amount of work to both look and function nicely. Several of the gents posting here have rifles built on the Ultra Mag actions.

The Interarms is not a true Magnum Mauser, just a Mark X action with the bottom receiver lug ground away and a longer magazine box.

[ 02-26-2003, 06:58: Message edited by: John Ricks ]

Posts: 1055 | Location: Real Sasquatch Country!!! I Seen 'Em! | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
John Ricks,
Thanks for that info, I didn't know that. [Smile]

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wildcatter:
I am not interested in the CZ 550 action because of the safety operation.

Wildcatter, don't write off the CZ 550 so quickly. Jim Wisner/PME makes a three-position Model 70 style safety for the CZ 550. Mine has one of these installed.

It's worth considering...

Best,
Joe

Posts: 144 | Location: Riverview, MI | Registered: 20 January 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Wildcatter,
The cz 550 safety is a $150 fix, to a model 70 type. BTW, it's the 602 with the bassakwards safety, the 550 has the "right" oreinitation, and that takes your total to $800 for the cz in 416 rigby, and a model 70 safety...

Ming has pics of the bbk... i would have one, for ~100 less... so I would go with a montana, which is a pretty damn nice action, and a fair price.

jeffe

Posts: 39598 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks jeffe for mentioning that. I actually have a lot of pictures. In fact, I just took some more side by side comparision pictures between the CZ 550 and the BBK-01 this weekend. I will post some pictures if I will be in the mood.

PME has a real nice Winchester style three position safety for the 550 and 602. I just bought one recently. I think I paid $199 for it. You better buy one before Jim decides not to make anymore, as his company is having problems.

Wildcatter,
Have your local dealer order the BBK-01 directly from Olympic Arms. It took about 3 weeks to get my. My action came with already drilled and tapped. If I had known a head of time, I would tell them not to drill and tap. Here are some pictures. Good luck.

-

-

-

Posts: 1002 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
 -

The CZ makes into one of the finest of the magnum Mausers, but it takes some work.

one of us
Picture of Wildcatter
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the input. I actually spoke to a gunsmith at Olyarms today before I posted this topic. This Ultramag action looks exactly like my Bauska down to the smallest detail. It seems that most of the casting and machining marks on mine were polished out so thankfully I don't have to do it. If someone on the forum doesn't come up with an action for me I think I'll order up an Ultramag and keep my emory cloth handy. [Big Grin]

So who knows of a lightweight synthetic stock made for these huge actions? My dad wants a 8 1/2 pound finished 375 Dakota or 416 Remington holding 5 + 1. Not an easy feat with a stock weighing more than a pound and a half and No.4 or 5 barrel. Mine weighs 8.3 pounds with no scope and a Douglas No.5. It wears a relatively lightweight synthetic but I don't know who made it. There isn't a mark on it anywhere.

Thanks guys

...Wildcatter

Posts: 788 | Location: Central Texas, U.S. | Registered: 20 December 2001Reply With Quote