Find
Notify
Tools

Replacing a Weatherby MKV stock
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Johnny foreigner
posted
The stock on my MKv could do with replacememnt as the previous owner removed the majority of the chequering whist attempting to re-finish.
I have a problem, the gun is a bit of a mystery. It is a MKv in 243 Win with a very lightweight action and a #1 barrel. It is not an "Ultralight" as the stock is wood and the barrel is not fluted.
Anyone know what it is. It is approximately 9 years old.
Thanks

DW

Posts: 156 | Location: UK Oxford | Registered: 12 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of South40
posted Hide Post
How many locking lugs on the bolt, six or nine? S40

Youth and vitality are wasted on the young.

Posts: 442 | Location: Way out west | Registered: 28 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JOHNNY,

Start with a fairly nice piece of wood, have it made into and nice classic style stock with a beaded cheekpiece inletted for the FN commercial mauser. Add black decelerator pad,
then fit with a nice steel gripcap and ebony fore end. Checkering, as on your present stock,
is optional.
Then buy said mauser and install! hammering
Best replacement for the Weatherby I can think of? rotflmo animal

What is it? Something to discard and replace!
CRYBABY

All joking aside, you probably have a "fibermark" barreled action someone put into a Weatherby wood stock.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=64015019

Posts: 1610 | Location: Shelby, Ohio | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by South40:
How many locking lugs on the bolt, six or nine? S40

He said light action. The 9 lug job weighs about 10 pounds, doesn't it? animal

Posts: 1610 | Location: Shelby, Ohio | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not necessarily Don. But he did say it was a Mark V. Most of the Mark V's, if I'm not mistaken were built with 9 lug action. According to Brown Precision, the new Mark V Ultra Lightweights that Wby is making are a trimmed down Mark V action their "Pounder" stocks won't work with them. Right out of the box, my 9 lug Mark V 257 Wby Ultra Lighweight bare rifle weighed 7 1/4 lbs. Which I thought was still a little heavy to be billed as "Ultra Lightweight" but the Bell and Carlson stock they used came in at almost 34 ounces, about 2 ozs more than my Serengeti laminate stock for my 300 H&H. I think they need to find a better design and a different stocker for that series of rifles. They trim a pound off of the stock, alone.

However, I had always thought, in the past, Wby had used their Varmintmaster 6 lug action on the standard cartridge offerings for stuff like the 243. I very well could be wrong. Maybe Johnny can let us know if his rifle has the 6 lug action or 9 lug action.

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of South40
posted Hide Post
Weatherby called their 6-lug rifles "Mark V's" at least for a while. Here is a 6-lug Mark V in 25/06. S40

Youth and vitality are wasted on the young.

Posts: 442 | Location: Way out west | Registered: 28 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry gents. It is a 6 lug bolt on the rilfe.
Weatherby don't have an e-mail address and when I called they told me it was "most likely a Euromark" but could not confirm....Seems odd
The problem I have is that McMillan will not deal drect with me and to be honest are being very unhelpful now when asking for assistance. So much so that they ignore all my mails.No-one in the UK knows enough about Weatherby's and McMillan. We have people who sell McMillan, but mention Weatherby and their eyes glaze over.

As for the gun itself, it's superb. It groups like a 222. Just need a new stock

DW

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any ideas???
Thank you

DW