Notify
Tools

Rem 700 stock finish repair
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of 3584ELK
posted
Hi fellas,

I have a 700 BDL in the shop with the shiny polyurethane stock finish and it is damaged in the area of the forward sling swivel. It appears that I can get the dent removed, but I am not sure I can ever match that finish.

Anyone have a suggestion as to stain and or poly finish that will match?

Merkel 140A- .470NE
Beretta Vittoria- 12 Ga.
J.P. Sauer & Sohn Type B- 9.3x64mm
ArmaLite AR-10A4- 7.62x51mm
Franchi Highlander- 12 Ga.
Marlin 1894 CB Limited- .41 Magnum
Remington 722- .244 Rem.
and many, many more.

An honest man learns to keep his horse saddled.

Posts: 596 | Location: Lake Andes, SD | Registered: 15 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
They do not deserve any effort to repair; remove the whole finish and stain and oil. Or throw them in the corner; that is what I do.

Posts: 17173 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Agree with dcpd

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2640 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I removed that shiney finish on one years ago and it was tough! Can’t say the results was worth it. Still have the old stock I think.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 961 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't raise the dent. Polish the dent, getting out any white marks and degrease it. Then start filling in with gloss lacquer allowing adequate drying time between coats. If you get any white marks showing, touch up with a spirit stain marker (not oil) and keep going over it. Build it up above the surface of the stock. After it dries good and hard, work it down with 600 grit using water as a lubricant until level. Then switch to 1000 grit and finishing with 3000 grit auto polish. This will lens the color underneath and give the illusion of wood. And it will match!

quote:
Originally posted by 3584ELK:
Hi fellas,

I have a 700 BDL in the shop with the shiny polyurethane stock finish and it is damaged in the area of the forward sling swivel. It appears that I can get the dent removed, but I am not sure I can ever match that finish.

Anyone have a suggestion as to stain and or poly finish that will match?

Posts: 3701 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
COA 2: throw it in the trash and buy a Boyds stock; I would rather spend the $175 on a new, better, laminated stock than fix the factory one.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, he said the stock came into his shop for repair of the dent. So, he might not have an option other than to patch it up. Not a whole lot of labor involved. Mainly waiting for the finish to dry. But he can do something else while he's waiting. It would be a good upsell though.

Posts: 3701 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I know.
Just being obstinate.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it is a long right BDL I have a nice stock with plenty of figure in the butt I'll let go for a nice price.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your problems speaks volumes about drawback of built up finishes.

Oil Finish...easily repaired and easily maitained.

Posts: 3502 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
Your problems speaks volumes about drawback of built up finishes.

Oil Finish...easily repaired and easily maitained.

Plus the added bonus of it looking like actual wood, not plastic.

"For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind..."
Hosea 8:7

Posts: 579 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 January 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 3584ELK
posted Hide Post
Bobster- thank you for your detailed explanation.

Yes, I recognize the RKW finish is not what we consider to be a great finish. I prefer Danish oil, rubbed in with 1500 grit paper.

However, I am not the customer and I am trying to find a way to satisfy his wants.

Merkel 140A- .470NE
Beretta Vittoria- 12 Ga.
Remington 722- .244 Rem.
and many, many more.

Posts: 596 | Location: Lake Andes, SD | Registered: 15 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
I've repaired nicks/scratches in built up finishes with superglue. Invisible.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3056 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A long time ago I found it is difficult to get paid for the time involved for a job such as this. Nothing wrong with saying "no thanks". Not every job someone thinks they want done is worth doing.

Posts: 696 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Superglue. You need a special type of superglue, with an accelerant, to do it right (no white residue).
Starbond, get the medium thickness, and you can get it tinted brown if you want. Works well on scratches in the finish as well. Not meant to fill deep dings though. You will need to steam those first.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2928 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Never had a Minwax product I didn't like. Might give this one below a try.
Hope you don't sand away the divit. Only steaming with a crazy glue fill is recommended. Carefully scrape away the excess with a new razor blade. Then short strokes with 600 grit to level.

Minwax Helmsman High-Gloss Clear Spray Polyurethane, 11.5 Oz. 33250000

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5172 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slivers:
A long time ago I found it is difficult to get paid for the time involved for a job such as this. Nothing wrong with saying "no thanks". Not every job someone thinks they want done is worth doing.

So true..and you can't make it up in volume!

Posts: 3502 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 3584ELK
posted Hide Post
Kendog: I left you a P.M.

Merkel 140A- .470NE
Beretta Vittoria- 12 Ga.
Remington 722- .244 Rem.
and many, many more.

one of us
posted Hide Post
There are several finish removers that cut through stocks and work on poly or anything else, use them about twice and then wet sand or dry sand back down to wood, its not rocket science..Oil is beauty and easy to maintain and my preference but that factory finish is bright and shiny and reflective in the game field and way more water proof. Id prefer poly finish on a laminated stock.

Allmost all my stocks are wood and oiled finish, but high gloss is better in snow and wet weather..Plastic stocks are better yet..The best stock for bad weather and hard knocks was the old Ruger boat paddle IMO..

Take your pick they all work OK if done right..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41964 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ Gould:
Superglue. You need a special type of superglue, with an accelerant, to do it right (no white residue).
Starbond, get the medium thickness, and you can get it tinted brown if you want. Works well on scratches in the finish as well. Not meant to fill deep dings though. You will need to steam those first.

Guitar luthiers do this often to repair finishes. Guitar repair forums are very useful for finish repair tips. Stewmac sells everything you'd need; I personally don't know the fine details.

Posts: 523 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote