Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Czech 98/22 Action
 Login/Join

posted
Can anyone tell me if the 98/22 action is a good candidate for a 338-06 sporter. Also, does it have any quirks as far as fitting in a standard 98 stock and using a 98 aftermarket trigger etc.
Thanks,
Woody

Never underestimate stupid people in large groups.

Posts: 19 | Location: Mecosta County, Michigan | Registered: 25 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
the 98/22 is a standard length action of good quality providing it's in good condition.

The mag box will have to be lengthened slightly to accomedate all bullets.

Bolt face and feeding should work fine without alteration.

A standard 98 stock and aftermatket trigger will work fine.

Rojelio

Posts: 495 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 13 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
they are pretty much the same as a vz 24, great actions, however most where abused by the turks, someone should have taught them how to care for a rifle!!!! also make sure there is no rust below the wood line if you are buying a complete gun

in times when one needs a rifle, he tends to need it very badly.....PHC

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info guys, even on mausercentral there aren't any post about the suitability of different actions for sporterization. The action I've found, doesn't look like the Turks got ahold of it. It has no rust at all, and the BRNO crest is still there etc. I'll have to do alittle research on how to lengthen the mag box. I'm assuming that it would be necessary for 250 grain bullets. I plan on using 225's, but don't want to kwell my options by having to short of a magazine. Your help has been greatly appreciated.
Regards,
Woody

Posts: 19 | Location: Mecosta County, Michigan | Registered: 25 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
all but a handful of 98/22's went to turkey,most where made from imperial german parts, like what was used on the gew 98. if you have a 98/22 that happens to be especially minty, its prolly worth more as a whole rifle

in times when one needs a rifle, he tends to need it very badly.....PHC

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I'm a milsurp collector,so I know what you mean, but this one had a sewerpipe barrel, and the fellow I'm getting it from had sawed the barrel off in front of the receiver.
Regards,
Woody

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
sawed the barrel off in front of the receiver

Do you have a permit for that Short Barreled Rifle?

Posts: 1547 | Location: Lafayette, Louisiana | Registered: 18 June 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Major,
And how would that be any of your business?
Woody