New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mauser Action Drawing?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm cleaning up (by stoning and polishing) a couple of 98 Mauser actions and want to know the actual geometry of the receivers external sutfaces, particularly the rear bridge. Is there a reference source with a dimensioned drawing of the 98 action that defines the curved surfaces of the receiver?

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can you not use an unmolested mauser action as a reference?

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3292 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
No such animal that I have ever seen; go with the first posters suggestion. Anyway, they all vary a bit from factory to factory, and due to hand buffing at the factory. If you are polishing it yourself, just keep the surfaces flat and corners sharp. No waves.

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
It's one of he things that drive machinists and engineers batty. There are so many variants by the many different manufacturers and within production runs you'll not get two people to agree to a standard configuration.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I suspected that was the case. Oh well, thanks anyway.

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yeah, remember that they started making these things in 1898 and are still making them, literally all around the world from China to Poland (I tried to pick countries that wold go around the world) and everything in between. (except in the US). So a "set of blueprints" would only be one point on a very large chart of dimensions.

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I understand there would be a lot of variation in actual receivers. I was just hoping that what the designer originally specified was documented somewhere.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Glen71:
I understand there would be a lot of variation in actual receivers. I was just hoping that what the designer originally specified was documented somewhere.

The drawings exist but few aftermarket craftmen have the means to locate and buy a set of drawings. Still fewer would use them for anything. What you see in most cases is reverse engineering of the easy to make parts.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Prechtl actions are from the original Mauser factory drawings - and modified for enhanced safety and functionality.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
The best I can tell and this is from a casting that JBrown took and I examined it under a toolmakers scope and compared it to Mausers i have on hand

The angle is 118.5 degrees included with a .542" radius in the center. This is without the charger hump. Keep in mind this is a R&D part dimension (ripoff and duplicate) so it may not be exact fit to your action.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kcstott:
The angle is 118.5 degrees included with a .542" radius in the center.

Thanks.

That radius is centered on the bore, I presume?

I'm wotking on a 1909 Peruvian which has a little different bridge profile than a standard 98, and I do not plan to remove the unique charger hump. I thought if I understood the standard bridge better I might figure out the intended contour of the sides of the 1909's bridge.

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm wotking on a 1909 Peruvian which has a little different bridge profile than a standard 98, and I do not plan to remove the unique charger hump.

Thank you for not destroying the sexist aspect of one of the sexiest Mauser variants.

And a disclaimer on the castings that I supplied to Kerry: first, they are from a couple of FN actions that came without the charger hump, and more importantly I was the novice doing the casting.

I do think someone with someone of note(Steve Nelson?) posted the correct rear bridge geometry here on AR sometime back. It is worth a search.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thank you for not destroying the sexist aspect of one of the sexiest Mauser variants.

Aye.
tu2

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tin can:
quote:

Aye.
tu2

Not to worry, guys. I'm afraid of what ForrestB would do to me if I did that. Wink

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fla3006:

Yeah I'd hold you down while forrest stomped a mud hole in ya and walked dry if you molested that action. That is very nice.

I'll post an actual drawing.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
One more time for fla3006 & ForrestB Big Grin

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
quote:
I'm wotking on a 1909 Peruvian which has a little different bridge profile than a standard 98, and I do not plan to remove the unique charger hump.

And a disclaimer on the castings that I supplied to Kerry: first, they are from a couple of FN actions that came without the charger hump, and more importantly I was the novice doing the casting.

I do think someone with someone of note(Steve Nelson?) posted the correct rear bridge geometry here on AR sometime back. It is worth a search.

Yeah I had to massage the numbers a bit to get everything to fit correctly.

This is the drawing I came up with after machining a few parts and test fitting them to the casting and to my rifle. I found a happy medium and called it good.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
quote:
kcstott:
quote:

Yeah I'd hold you down while forrest stomped a mud hole in ya and walked dry if you molested that action. That is very nice.
This was one of 2 projects Tom Burgess did for me. I passed it on to ForrestB, Wiebe probably has it now.

Also, Jon Speed's Mauser books have dimensions, factory drawings.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Tom Burgess.... If Only there was someone to fill that mans shoes.
I feel like an idiot that I'd never heard nor seen any of his work until after he was gone.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
This was one of 2 projects Tom Burgess did for me. I passed it on to ForrestB, Wiebe probably has it now.

Also, Jon Speed's Mauser books have dimensions, factory drawings.

Thanks. I'll check out Jon Speed's books. The top of the 98 bridge is pretty well documented. It's the sides of the bridge that are giving me fits. Particularly the Peruvian 09 which seems to have two different radii, one for the side of the bridge and a larger one for the sides of the charger hump.

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kcstott:
Tom Burgess.... If Only there was someone to fill that mans shoes.
I feel like an idiot that I'd never heard nor seen any of his work until after he was gone.

Yeah, last night I came accross some notes he sent me once. A treatise on Mauser Heat treatment. With a history of the development of German Heat treating dating back to the 1870's. One of his few writings where I actually understood everything he said, lol. I also have his notes regarding Czech heat treatment. Wonderful stuff.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4864 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A former member of these forums is working on putting together a deluxe edition of R H Korn's "Mauser Gewehre und Mauser Patente." As I understand, this is a definitive compilation of all Mauser firearm patterns. From talking to him, I understand that he has the revised 1971 edition of the Korn book that he is working with, which would include a considerable amount of detail of post war variations as an addemdum. I have suggested to him that he consider a DVD version as well at a lower price than the super deluxe print version that he is planning in a leather-bound format. He hopes to get all royalty issues sorted out with the editors of the 1971 version very shortly.

NB - I have not seen the book and am only aware of what is happening because he and I talked about this project, as I was an editor a long time ago. I am not involved with the project in any way and am only posting because of the question about Mauser action drawings.

Good hunting!

Mehul Kamdar

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."-- Patrick Henry

Posts: 2717 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
You wouldn't want to part with a copy of those notes would you?? If it's convenient to copy that is

www.KLStottlemyer.com