Find
Notify
Tools

CD vs MT vs ...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Which looks better to ya'll...

The Charles Daly or the Montana Rifle action ?

And someone suggested to me that we are all crazy waiting for these 98 clone actions. They said that effectively the Ruger 77 MkII is an American Mauser for all intents and purposes and it is readily available at any store today. As far as pointing out its deviations from the original Mauser 98, they said that all the currently produced Mauser 98 clones have deviations from the original so none are perfect. If you're going to accept deviations, then it is just a matter of which deviations you're willing to accept.

As the old Winston Churchill joke goes about the refined lady willing to accept a million dollars for selling her wares, we have established what you are, we are now just establishing the price.

So which deviations do we find acceptable, and which ones eliminate an action from consideration as a Mauser clone ?

And, how does the quality of execution compare between the Charles Daly, the Montana Rifle, and the Ruger ?

For the what's it worth department, still have three Montana actions on charter order. Will get a left-hand Charles Daly when they're available. And also have a Ruger or two. And some original Mauser 98s too. So not got a dog in this fight.

Just interested in what those of ya'll who have seen and handled all three think...

Hammer

Posts: 1003 | Registered: 01 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hammer, I have seen a few examples of Charles Daly guns and I'll pass on all of them. Thier 1911 pistols are as bad as I have seen. Stick with MRC for the actions.

Joe

Posts: 263 | Location: Where ever Bush sends me | Registered: 13 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Ruger is cast, and it looks like the MRC is too, the CD is forged steel, and a true Mauser. You would be much better off with a Model 70 CRF, than the MRC or Ruger.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Talking hunting rifles and starting with the 308 family of cartridges I don't see the need for an action with a 1.3" diameter. The Kimber 84's are 1.1" and that makes up a neat trim baby Mauser type action. For the 30-06 family I don't know who makes a small ring action?

In the WSM's the Winchester M 70 action seems just right.

That's all I have to say. Perhaps someone else will make some suggestions.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote