New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington 700,Bolt lift lock?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi all, I just got a rem 700 Bdl in 338 Rum. There had been some action work done before I got it. My problem is when carrying it on my left shoulder the bolt constantly works open. I really like my ruger with a locking bolt. Is there something to fix this and is there someone you recommend. I live in Central Ca.
Thanks

NRA Life Member
PADI Open Water Diver
Padi Advanced Open Water Diver
Elk Dont Know How Many Feet Horses Have!

Posts: 227 | Location: Bakersfield Ca. USA | Registered: 15 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ted, how about a 3 position safety from Gentry? That would give your M700 fire control system of the M70 and would allow for bolt lock. I'd check with Brown Precision in Los Molinos, CA or Jerry Rice at NorCal Precision in Santa Rosa, CA (I think?).

Good Luck!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think I have a couple of the old safety levers that will lock the bolt. They will work if your rifle hqas the necessary cut in the receiver and bolt. Email me; will be out of town until 2/1

Jim

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bluetick
posted Hide Post
Ted
You may also want to try a trigger from a Colt Light Rifle. Or try to Contact New Ultralight Arms. I know the Colt has a 3 position safety. And here is a quote from the NULA sight
quote:
Safety: Our own patented two-position, three funciton safety allows the bolt to be lifted while the rifle is in the "SAFE" or "NO FIRE" position. Please use caution and follow standard safety procedures even with the safety lever in the "SAFE" or "NO FIRE" position. $36

This may be the easy way to go. I have seen the Colt triggers used in the AR and 24hcf classafieds. I even think I have seen theem on ebay before.

Maybe someone elese that has had one of these two trigger/safety unites will chim in with a report.

Shawn

Posts: 773 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don B
posted Hide Post
I had one installed on my 300 RUM model 700 by James Wisner. It was installed very well, though I forget the price (about $250). One word of caution.....if you ever have another barrel installes, you will have to have work done on the new safety for it to work. This I have learned by experience. I have a new rifle (custom 270 by HD rifles, left hand, that will have the Gentry. I can't wait to try it.
Because of the opening bolt madness, I won't own a Remington without changing the safety.
Don

Posts: 218 | Location: Lawrenceville, GA | Registered: 22 September 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Jim Kobe,

Are those the safetly levers from older (pre accidental discharge scare) stock BDL triggers?

Will they fit on a Jewell trigger?

I was stupid enough to have my gun modified to make it "safer" now I have the same problem as TedS.

I hate it and should have known better.

Thanks

eric

Posts: 10 | Location: Western Montana | Registered: 13 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Little more info. This rifle has the J-lock, I dont have the key, does this make a differance and can it be removed all together.

NRA Life Member
PADI Open Water Diver
Padi Advanced Open Water Diver
Elk Dont Know How Many Feet Horses Have!

Posts: 227 | Location: Bakersfield Ca. USA | Registered: 15 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ted, the J lock has nothing to do with your problem. Rem removed the lever on top of the safety lever that locked the bolt when the safety was in the on position. They also stopped machining the small cut in the bolt for this lever to engage. As Jim Kobe stated you can have the old style safety lever and the cut in the bolt installed.

Posts: 868 | Location: maryland | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote