New
Find
Notify
Tools

scope on contender
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Going to mount a pistol scoope on a 30/30 contender barrel. Any trade secrets to attaching the mount to the barrel and the scope to the mounts so that every thing stays where it's supposed too? thanks. k2 in orygun

Posts: 33 | Location: the dalles, orygun | Registered: 23 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Others may think me blasphemous but I put a smallbead of liquid nails on the bottom of the scope mounts and tightened down the the screws, then wiped off the excess with spirits. It's withstood several years of full pop 357 max loads.

Mike

Posts: 64 | Location: Charleston, sc | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A few basic things to remember when mounting any scope, regardless if it is a .223 or a .30-30 or a .458 Win Mag:
1. Make sure you pay for the job to be done by a competent gunsmith. (Hint: Find someone who has been around awhile and knows his stuff)
2. Make sure chosen gunsmith knows the difference between permanent and temporary Loc-Tite (Red vs. Blue) and where to apply the stuff.
3. Remember, you may be able to do a good job at home, but however, support this dying industry. I've seen it before, the next time you really need expert advice from a gunsmith, he may not be there to answer. Driven out of business by those who take their precious business to the internet and and else where, therefore leaving him out of the loop.

I hope these tips help.
Good luck with the scope mounting.