New
Find
Notify
Tools

Replacement engraved Rem. bolt handle?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anybody make a nice looking CM bolt handle for a Remington? Hopefully with an engraved knob.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Butch- give Russ a call. He knows of a guy that makes Rem style bolts. Maybe he can help. Good luck!

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Butch, get one of Jerome Glimm's checkered bolt knobs and weld it on. I have done them on Remingtons, Winchesters, MRC's, etc.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim,

Where does one see/get one of Jerome Glimm's bolt knobs?

Jim

Posts: 1210 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dall85-

You can find him via Google but, I will save you the trouble: http://www.gunengraver.biz/index.html

Good luck and welcome to the board.

May the wind be in your face and the sun at your back.

P. Mark Stark

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like to weld on the handle I want and then send it to GLimm. THat way you are not constrained by the handle and can do what you want. If it is already engraved/checkered, then you have to line it up just right and be sure nothing gets dinged, dented, or whatever, plus you can't reshape anything. Gerome is very fast and quite reasonable with his prices

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark,

Thanks!

Jim

Jim

Posts: 1210 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted Hide Post
I should take a picture of the bolt handle Ed LaPour did for me on my 700. I thought he said it was a Dakota, but maybe I'm mistaken. It is slim, 90 degrees, and has a very fine 2 panel tear-drop checkering. It really looks sharp.

Posts: 895 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota | Registered: 13 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well,
I have just been thrown a curve. I have a Pierce receiver, Remington clone, and thought Remington stuff would work. The factory handle isn't bad looking shape wise, but it is high polish stainless. I don't think that I would want to weld a CM bolt handle on a stainless root. I thought of getting one of my old takeoff Rem. CM bolt handles and welding the Glimmes on. Found out the Pierce bolt is different and won't except the Rem bolt. Different diameter and helix. John said he was going to make some CM tactical handles later. I might have to wait on that and then weld the custom one too it. I think that when I am done you will not see Remington in it. Thanks for the advice.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Finally,
I had Dan Armstrong in Fairbanks, Ak weld the root of a tactical bolt handle from John Pierce on the bolt. He uses a double helix extraction cam. Dan tigged it on and cut the tactical handle off and then welded his handle on. He does a nice job, 10 days total turn around time and he knows bolt timing. It will now go to Jerome Glimm for engraving.
Butch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prewar70:
I should take a picture of the bolt handle Ed LaPour did for me on my 700. I thought he said it was a Dakota, but maybe I'm mistaken. It is slim, 90 degrees, and has a very fine 2 panel tear-drop checkering. It really looks sharp.

Yes you should take a photo of it so we can see what it looks like!