New
Find
Notify
Tools

SAAMI Specifications
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Can anyone provide SAAMI chamber specifications for a 30-06 and 338-06? I've been having a discussion with someone over dimensions and we are disagreeing. I've got diagrams in reloading manuals, but not offical SAAMI specs. Thanks.

Posts: 178 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 07 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Sorry I don't have the SAAMI dimensions. What is the disagreement about? If one of you happens to be looking at Steve's page the 338-06 has an incorrect shoulder angle. The 338-06 & 30-06 are the same except bore. They also use the same headpsace guage.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Somewhere on this forum is a link to the CIP specifications, which is the Euro version of SAAMI. Try a search

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JGS will give one "freebie", but you can download CIP..which are world wide standards.. SAAMI is realistically only US

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess it's not so much a disagreement, but more an unknown right now. What I'm looking to find out is the dimension of the chamber at the base of the case.

Posts: 178 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 07 January 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
JAB,

Private message sent.

Posts: 57 | Location: North Central Washington | Registered: 19 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JAB

I gave you a link to CIP. I have SAAMI prints but have no way to send them to you.

SAAMI for the '06 min chamber is .4708". The 338-06 is a wildcat so there is no SAAMI spec for it. But it's logical to assume that the '06 is what you should use.

I don't know why you are asking but you have to be aware that SAAMI gives min chamber and max cartridge dimensions only. I doubt if you will find a cartridge that has the max base size and it would be a rare chamber that is min SAAMI.

ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Yup, the drawing I have also gives a minimum of .4708, and a maximum of .4728 with a cartridge min of .4618 and a max of .4698 across the base (as meaasured .200 from the head of the case)... So good luck! Big Grin

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Westpac

Where did you get a drawing that shows both min and max ?? Is that something new that SAAMI and CIP are doing?? I suppose I will have to find new sets.

Ray

Arizona Mountains

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Ray,

I have a copy of Cartridge and Chamber drawings that I got from RCBS years ago.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Handloading"
Wm. C Davis,Jr.
Published by N.R.A. Jan 1981
ISBN 0-935998-34-9

This book has most of the SAAMI cartridge - chamber prints for rifle and pistol up to the first printing - Jan. 1981.

I have a fast scan if anyone needs this . I will do a better scan as soon as I figure out the new printer - Ha!

You should be able to get this book with an interlibrary loan......

Stonewall

Posts: 200 | Location: Calgary- Alberta- Canada | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm forced to eat some of my own words.

I had forgotten that the 338-06 is now a factory offering and has it's own SAAMI specs.

I'm getting old. What happened to the days when a wildcat was a wildcat? Now we have factory cartridges, kinda-factory cartridges, wildcat cartridges, proprietary cartridges, used-to-be wildcats, semi-wildcats, the list goes on. popcorn

ray

Arizona Mountains