New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recoil Pad Installation
 Login/Join

<jlowens>
posted
I'm installing my first recoil pad and have a couple of questions.
1) I was going to buy the B&R jig from Brownells. Does anyone have any experience with it?
2) What are your recomendations for sanding disc grit for my sander?

Thanks,
Jimmy

one of us
Picture of gsp
posted Hide Post
I personally, do not use a jig. I use 1 rap of painters tape ( that does stick) around the end of the stock. I also use a 1"x12" hand held belt sander made by bosch. Using 60 grit to within a 1/8" then 80 grit and finish with the pad off of the stock using 120 grit. This might not be the (correct way) but has turned out some nice decelerator pads with out ruining the stock.

I like having control of the sander instead the stock.

one of us
posted Hide Post
JLOWENS

The B&R pad jig from Brownells works very well, I use one myself. If you follow directions you can do a professional quality job.

Use 60 grit to cut to the scribe mark, then block sand with 240 grit and water to just remove the scribe mark and your fit will be as perfect as you can get it.

Posts: 1546 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one and it works pretty well up to a point, but I have to tell you that a sho nuff proper fitted recoil pad has to be sanded and finished with the wood to be right..Most times the finish can be matched by a good stockmaker...That is what I do...I have never been satisfied with a fitted add on pad..and on ocassions I have had to refinish the entire stock to achieve that match, and that is a royal pain, but fortunatly only a couple of times...

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote