New
Find
Notify
Tools

Steel case .308
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Who is making steel case .308? I got a match grade AR-10 in with a stuck case the head had been pulled off leaving the body in the chamber. It was the hardest case I have ever had to pull it was stuck tight. Ended up using the Cerrosafe method as the broken case extractors would not budge it.

Never rode a bull, but have shot some.

NRA life member
NRA LEO firearms instructor (retired)
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1510 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So was it a steel case that got stuck or a brass case.

If you had a hard time removing a brass case steel is a lot worse.

When I was running patrol rifle classes we banned steel case ammo.

To many failures to extract and very hard to remove them.

Posts: 19597 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes it was a steel case and they are hard to remove.

NRA life member
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1510 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Steel cases are usually coated with a lacquer-like substance. Load one into a hot chamber and let it sit and the heat melts the coating. If you fire it right away you’re okay, but let the chamber cool with round in there and it will glue itself in, so when you fire it the head gets ripped off leaving most the case in the chamber. Yeah, steel cased ammo works fine as long as you don’t let one sit in a hot chamber and then cool.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Who is making??? The Pinko Commies. Look at the lists, Cheaper Than Dirt, Sportsmans Guide, etc. They have no end of .223, 7,.62x39, and .308 with steel cases. The more expensive is silver coated with zinc, I think. I suspect it is to prevent ease of reloading the ammo. It is cheaper. Lots of cases left at the range and easy to pick up with a magnet. Enjoy. Happy Trails.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
It is as simple as the fact that steel is much cheaper than brass. And berdan primers are cheaper than boxer. Has nothing to do with ease of reloading; mass produced military grade ammo is not reloaded.
Strictly cost.

Posts: 17278 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you shoot steel make sure your chamber is squeaky clean and polished.

Posts: 3780 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I spend a big bucks for a precision rifle it dang sure ain't gonna see any steel cases. Some how it is just wrong but then that is just me, old

NRA life member
NRA Golden Eagles member

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
You wouldn't be shooting standard grade or GI ball in a precision match rifle anyway; but it is not because of the case. Such ammo is not made to match specs.
Billions of rounds of steel cased ammo has been made, and used, successfully by many countries; Russia and China, including the US, for the purpose of saving strategic materials, copper. Most WW2 German 8mm is steel cased. If it didn't work, it would not be used for combat ammo. They usually function perfectly and cause no problems.
The only issue is with some current makes which use lacquered cases to prevent rust; those can stick; better ones use zinc, or copper plating. I have never had a problem with those.

Posts: 17278 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Even Hornady makes steel cased ammo. Like I said, as long as you don’t leave a lacquer-coated round in a warm chamber it works just fine.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote