THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to get stipple effect on timber stocks?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does anyone know how to get that stipple effect like on the Anschutz (timber)stock?

Posts: 56 | Location: Melbourne | Registered: 26 December 2001Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
LazoG--

I'm not clear on what you're asking--- It's stippling. Do you want to know how to stipple.......or do you want to know how to get that look *without* stippling?

Could I suggest checkering instead?

Stippling is ugly on wood, in my opinion....but of course it certainly easy and cheap to do. I think that's the only reason it's done....any fool can do it with a hammer and punch.

one of us
posted Hide Post
How to do it and with what size punch. I'm assuming that various sizes on center punches would work? been wondering how to do it myself. Thanks. [Smile]

Posts: 330 | Location: Picayune, Ms | Registered: 03 May 2002Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
Stippling is nothing but using a center punch and a hammer to make a rough surface.

Hold a sharp punch between the thumb and first two fingers about .025 above the surface to be stippled. Tap the punch with the hammer and move the punch around as you go. The pads of your fingers act as a "spring" to keep the point off the surface until it's hit with the hammer. Five strokes a second or so is normal speed. The size of the stipple is determined by how hard you hit the punch.

Stippling can be done with a variety of punches to get different appearances on metal. Flat punches that are rotated as it's being tapped is especially nice an ribs and sights.

On wood it just looks like crude crap to me.....but that's MY opinion.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I wanted to know how to do stippling on a new walnut stock I'm working on.

Thanks for the replies. Could you tell me what size centre punch should I be using?

Posts: 56 | Location: Melbourne | Registered: 26 December 2001Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
LazoG---

It makes no difference what size punch you use as long as it's sharpened to a point. How hard you hit it determines how big the marks are.