New
Find
Notify
Tools

03A3 action strength.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was recently given a smith corona action that has been tapped twice.. The previous owner had a peep sight, then drilled again for scope. The old holes are plugged and can barely tell they're there. I was going to convert to 35 or 375 whelen, but because of the extra holes I'm now shaky on the issue.

Anybody have any thoughts as to the strength being compromised by the extra set of holes.

thanks.
turfman

Posts: 133 | Location: Pa\Nj | Registered: 05 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If it had a peep sight on it, that would have been installed on the side of the rear receiver bridge, right? Then, a scope mount would have been drilled on the top of the rear bridge. This is not the "strength" area of concern. It's the front locking lugs that takes the pressure. And these don't get damaged or comprimized when mounting a scope, unless someone drills down the side of the top lug. I think you will be fine.

one of us
posted Hide Post
No this is a funny one. The peep is a ghost ring style williams. The thing was mounted on the top of the "Front" receiver ring.

should have said that before.

turfman

one of us
posted Hide Post
So then it has four screw holes instead of two in the receiver ring? Are they "in line" with each other or are they stagered? In other words, the thread length of an 03 is about an inch or so (from memory). Is there a straight line of holes along this thread area?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well they're kinda staggered. One of the holes is partially tapped into a plugged hole. Imagine two holes in a straight line x distance apart center of top of the ring. Now imagine two plugged holes a little up from the tapped holes with a larger spacing gap and the tapped holes actually cuts into one of these holes.

This rifle was shot for years in its original form with these two sets of holes; I guess thats why I figured I could get away with the whelen.

turfman

One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
I seriously doubt the extra holes will cause any loss of strength at all.....

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Quote:

I seriously doubt the extra holes will cause any loss of strength at all.....

I agree. This action will still work for any cartridge based on the '06 case that operates at pressures in the same range. Having the holes plugged will make no difference in the strength of the receiver ring, either!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Then 35 whelen it is.

thanks for the input guys.

turfman