New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mannlicher stock-barrel band needed???
 Login/Join

<xs headspace>
posted
I'm doing a Mannlicher style full length stock on my 7x57 Venezualian Mauser. The tip cap is horn, and captures the muzzle end, but is it a good idea to do a barrel band midway, like the originals??

one of us
posted Hide Post
The originals had the barrel band so that the stress of the sling was transferred to the barrel. The stocks were very thin and hollowed out inside. The stirrup screw was supported by ferrules in the wood, then went thru an eye in the barrel band.

If your forend is sturdy enough to support a sling swivel, then you do not need a stirrup and barrel band.

When figuring out your project budget, keep in mind that lining up a stirrup, screw, 2 ferrules and a barrel band will significantly increase your liquor consumption.

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
<xs headspace>
posted
OK, so I'll put 2 shots of Yukon Jack in my coffee mug that day. I have some brass threaded inserts for wood that have a 1/4-20 thread in them. I might bore them out off center, so I can adjust the tension on the barrel band that the cross bolt gives. Yeah, one more variable to play with, oh, joy!