New
Find
Notify
Tools

To replace bot and go on or not?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My father got a rifle from a friend of his that he gave me--the bolt was stuck, he had fired a strong reload in it, the load was not ridicuolous, but past book max.

I was able to open the bolt with hand pressure, but had to wedge the rifle between my legs to get enough resistance to get it open. The cartridge case was really wedged into the bolt face, but I grabbed it with a pair of pliars, worked it back and forth a few times and it came out. There was not any brass flow into the extractor area.

My question is--would the action/barrel be OK to continue to use? I cannot get the bolt taken apart, but I am not super knowledgeable, and not a SMITH. I was considering buying a new bolt from Pacific Tool and just starting from scratch so to speak--

What's the advise?

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fish30114:
the bolt was stuck, he had fired a strong reload in it, the load was not ridicuolous, but past book max.

I was able to open the bolt with hand pressure, but had to wedge the rifle between my legs to get enough resistance to get it open. The cartridge case was really wedged into the bolt face, but I grabbed it with a pair of pliars, worked it back and forth a few times and it came out. There was not any brass flow into the extractor area.

My question is--would the action/barrel be OK to continue to use? I cannot get the bolt taken apart, but I am not super knowledgeable, and not a SMITH. I was considering buying a new bolt from Pacific Tool and just starting from scratch so to speak--

What's the advise?

How would anyone know without having the gun in their hands to look at. You need to let a 'smith pull it down and inspect the lugs and lug seats before you do anything further with it.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Westpac, that's what I'll do!

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote