THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Technical Question: Weatherby MKV Action vs Rem M700

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Technical Question: Weatherby MKV Action vs Rem M700
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am comparing the Remington M700 to the Weatherby MKV both factory rifles and both chambered .257 Weatherby.

Does either action have a technical advantage over the other?

Thanks.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
- I personally prefer the MkV safety over that of the M700.

- The MkV is a considerably heavier action (assuming we are talking about the full size MkV) than the M700.

- The M700 is very much easier to find after market parts for (triggers etc). In fact, there is probably no action as easily customizable as the M700.

- it is easier to make the dual locking lugs of the M700 bear evenly compared to the multiple lugs of the MkV. But this is only one part of the accuracy equation.

- because of its recessed locking lugs, the MkV is one of the smoother operating actions around. It also has the shorter bolt lift due to the 3 rows of lucking lugs (~60 degrees vs. 90 degrees for the M700)

Other than that, it is mostly a matter of taste whether you prefer one or the other. Both can make very well shooting rifles.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
I like the howa vanguard action alot better, IMO the more lugs you have the more potential you have for one or more to be off, because machining was more complicated

in times when one needs a rifle, he tends to need it very badly.....PHC

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bent Fossdal
posted Hide Post
Tuned by a competent gunsmith, the Webby MkV is the ultimate action, IMO.

Bent Fossdal
Reiso
5685 Uggdal
Norway

Posts: 1707 | Location: Norway | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
mho said it best. Look through Brownell's and you'll find a lot of accessories for the 700.
Buy a 700 SPS and put in the extra money you'd have invested in a Webbie, you'll have far more of a rifle.

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
If you already have the MKV action, the lugs can be lapped in so that all of them bare statically. Carlos Critzer once told me that all Weatherby's lugs bare at one point and that was about 5 milleseconds after releasing the trigger. rotflmo
I lapped a MKV action lugs once and it didn't take long or much work.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of duikerman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Does either action have a technical advantage over the other?

I really believe both are quite strong and can handle pressures well. I just happen to prefer the short bolt lift of the Weatherby

Posts: 770 | Location: colorado | Registered: 11 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
Does the MK V have the recoil lug built in the action like the Vanguards, I like this feature better than the 700's. Louis

Posts: 1381 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
The recoil lug is the forward anchoring point for the MkV. I am not a fan of such a spot but it seems to work.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Does the MK V have the recoil lug built in the action like the Vanguards

YES!

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote