New
Find
Notify
Tools

Flutes: Straight or Helical?
 Login/Join

<9.3x62>
posted
I've got/had a number with straight flutes and don't really have any complaints. What about the helical fluting? Pros, cons? Thanks.

one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
Well,they make me dizzy...

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Since they serve no function, other than to reduce weight, why not spend the money on powder, primers and bullets?

<9.3x62>
posted
Yes, barrel flutes. I'll be leaving the bolt alone.

Weight-savings is the point, plus the look. I'd normally go with a lighter barrel, but I am forced to match the existing barrel inlet in the stock (which is exhibition grade...)

one of us
posted Hide Post
Do you mean bolt fluting? or barrel fluting. Helical is typicaly preferred on the bolt as straight fluting can clunk on the cartridge in the magazine when the bolt is lowered and raised. It can create problems with small cartridges like the .223 Rem. Personally I like straight barrel fluting and none on the bolt.

Posts: 93 | Location: Mi | Registered: 14 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Helical looks great but i believe that the only one doing it is Shaw and I don't think much of their barrels or service.

Posts: 187 | Location: eastern USA | Registered: 06 September 2001Reply With Quote