New
Find
Notify
Tools

Problems with Lothar Walthar
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone else have difficulty getting customer service from Lothar Walthar? They claim they have shipped a barrel to me via UPS but absolutely refuse to provide a tracking number to me and UPS My Choice shows no shipment in route.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had better luck calling them. Communication definitely leaves much to be desired.

Posts: 990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds as if somebody's employment might end.

Posts: 1077 | Location: Mentone, Alabama | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
if you have some one that refuses to give you a tracking number for something they claim has shipped. You need to ask for a supervisor or above.

I would demand a refund and tell them to shove it

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kcstott:
if you have some one that refuses to give you a tracking number for something they claim has shipped. You need to ask for a supervisor or above.

I would demand a refund and tell them to shove it

So who is above Woody Woodal? I have been communicating with him and he has been less than helpful.

I have a UPS account and they are not showing any recent shipments to me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodhits:
I've had better luck calling them. Communication definitely leaves much to be desired.

When I call Krieger, not only are they happy to help, they don't mind shooting the breeze for a few minutes...

Unfortunately, Krieger did not have the twist rate I needed for this particular caliber (404J).

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Call the billing dept. Kindly ask if it was charged and shipped. Maybe they can blow away some smoke.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5231 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
I used them once for a .318 barrel. 3 months turned into 6+ months and there were communications problems. Nice barrel, but there are many barrel manufacturers here in the states that want and need your business without the hassle.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2272 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lee440:
I used them once for a .318 barrel. 3 months turned into 6+ months and there were communications problems. Nice barrel, but there are many barrel manufacturers here in the states that want and need your business without the hassle.

Could not agree more -- but 404J barrels have a limited number of suppliers.

Here is a quote from one of the emails. This is what set me off:

"We are not a distributor. As such, sending out UPS numbers delays other orders from shipping and raises the cost of production."

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I remember calling him a number of years ago and got into quite a conversation with him. The gist of it as I recall was that I didn't know much of anything about chambering and fitting barrels, his way was the only way, etc., etc.
Needless to say I have never purchased one of his barrels and it is unlikely that I ever will. As above, there are plenty of great American barrel makers who want and appreciate my business and turn out a great product. And for some strange reason I do seem to know how to chamber and fit THEIR barrels.... go figure.

A good job is sometimes just a series of expertly fixed fark-ups.
Let's see.... is it 20 years experience or is it 1 years experience 20 times?
And I will have you know that I am not an old fart. I am a curmudgeon. A curmudgeon is an old fart with an extensive vocabulary and a really bad attitude.

Posts: 324 | Location: Too far north and 50 years too late | Registered: 02 February 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ggruber:
quote:
Originally posted by lee440:

Could not agree more -- but 404J barrels have a limited number of suppliers.

Here is a quote from one of the emails. This is what set me off:

"We are not a distributor. As such, sending out UPS numbers delays other orders from shipping and raises the cost of production."

Thats a load of horse shit right there. There is no reason they can't plug your damn email in when the generate the shipper.

That right there is just plain not getting with the times.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It appears old Woody hasn't mellowed in the last several years.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Man when you set up the UPS shipment you enter the email and UPS handles the notification for you.

I tried to order a barrel from Woody several years ago. After a "non-constructive" conversation I decided I needed a different manufacturer. coffee

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ggruber,

Pac-Nor has 404 Jeffery barrels any way you want them. I got mine from them and I am very pleased with how my rifle shoots. Believe it or not, I have a 3/4 inch group at 200 yards with the Northfork 340 gn soft point. The rifle shoots anything that I have put in it. At 50 yards it is a one hole group. The wait is fairly long as they do not stock the barrel. It will be made up for you and your specifications.

Posts: 791 | Location: La Luz, New Mexico USA | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
If I were you, I'd send a copy of your detailed complaint to the customer service of the home company in Germany. So far, I bought 3 custom bbls. from LW and was treated with courtesy.

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I've never known LW USA to be consumer friendly. The few times I called, Woody did seem a bit of a dick. I guess they make most of their money with volume commercial customers and we just get in the way.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hoot Murray:
ggruber,

Pac-Nor has 404 Jeffery barrels any way you want them. I got mine from them and I am very pleased with how my rifle shoots. Believe it or not, I have a 3/4 inch group at 200 yards with the Northfork 340 gn soft point. The rifle shoots anything that I have put in it. At 50 yards it is a one hole group. The wait is fairly long as they do not stock the barrel. It will be made up for you and your specifications.

That is great info. I don't know how I missed them during my initial search.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andre Mertens:
If I were you, I'd send a copy your detailed complaint to the customer service of the home company in Germany. So far, I bought 3 custom bbls. from LW and was treated with courtesy.

You didn't buy from Ol' Woody in the USofA.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OP-
If life is so inconvenient

Cancel payment & seek other barrel manufacturers.

Quite simple & no whining!

Keep'em in the X ring,
DAN

www.accu-tig.com

Posts: 429 | Location: Fairbanks,AK. | Registered: 30 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
Butchlambert,

True, I ordered from this site in Germany :

http://www.lothar-walther.de/114.php

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brux barrels will make a cut-rifled 404 with your desired internal dimensions and twist rate. About five months, but worth the wait.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My LW .404 took about 9 months instead of the quoted 5 months. Woody is not the most customer friendly person in the world, but the LW barrels are good.

Posts: 550 | Location: Augusta,GA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dans40XC:
OP-
If life is so inconvenient

Cancel payment & seek other barrel manufacturers.

Quite simple & no whining!

If only life was that simple. They cashed my check long ago...long before they started giving me the run around.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
15 years ago Woody was hard headed, opinionated and difficult to work with. So much so that I never ordered a barrel from him. Time has not mellowed him in the least.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12700 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's just Woody, heck of a nice guy btw...If you don't like the way he does things, go elsewhere is your best bet, he probably won't change much..

I like the guy and LW barrels are far and away my favorite barrels, and I'm willing to take what comes..That said I have not had any problems with LW of any kind and I been using them for 30 or so years..I call him up and we have some interesting conversation and sooner or later I get my barrels..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh,
Somebody likes Woody??

One of Us
posted Hide Post
well ja but its ray Big Grin stir

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
That's just Woody, heck of a nice guy btw...If you don't like the way he does things, go elsewhere is your best bet, he probably won't change much..

I like the guy and LW barrels are far and away my favorite barrels, and I'm willing to take what comes..That said I have not had any problems with LW of any kind and I been using them for 30 or so years..I call him up and we have some interesting conversation and sooner or later I get my barrels..

Ditto what Ray said. I have never had any problems. Maybe Woody and i just hit it off.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
I've never had any issues with Woody. I've bought a lot of barrels from him over the years.

Once, I had UPS deliver an empty box. the end flap was torn off. One call to Woody and several weeks later, an new barrel arrived.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4863 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
Oh,
Somebody likes Woody??

I do...was on a flight home with him on SAA a few years ago and learned a lot.

Ordered a 338 Win Mag barrel for my R 700, and it was one of the finest barrels I have ever owned.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Screw that I just talk to Ashley at Shilen, She'll walk out in the shop and tell me if a blank is in stock. shipped out and here in three days minus the weekend

www.KLStottlemyer.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kerry,
I think Ashley is the pretty young Lady that hunts hogs with her dogs and dispatches them with a knife.

One of Us
Picture of kiwiwildcat
posted Hide Post
quote:
As such, sending out UPS numbers delays other orders from shipping and raises the cost of production."

So you mean to tell me that essentially a 5 to 10 minute job of going back through the paperwork to find something as simple as a tracking number causes delays on other orders?

BULLSHIT!

That has got to be the lamest excuse ever and shows what shit fucking customer service they have.

How come is it that the likes of Sinclair and Brownells are only too happy to send tracking numbers and get back to you within 24 hours. Does it hold up their production and do they see fit to raise their costs...No.

She was only the Fish Mongers daughter. But she lay on the slab and said 'fillet'

Posts: 511 | Location: Auckland, New Zealand. | Registered: 22 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
quote:
Kerry,
I think Ashley is the pretty young Lady that hunts hogs with her dogs and dispatches them with a knife.

I wonder if she's single??

www.KLStottlemyer.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think she is.

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think she is.

Well I think I have a few more barrels to order then

www.KLStottlemyer.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
WOODY????? $%^&*&^^%$$him.

When the fear of death is no longer a concern----the Rules of War change!!

Posts: 978 | Location: S Oregon | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I have found, over the past 40 years, that Douglas is far more responsive and accommodating with orders, and special orders, than any other barrel maker.
Any and all. So I have no need for anyone else.

Posts: 17278 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote