THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1917 Enfield: Canjar set trigger trouble.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of LongDistanceOperator
posted
I just got a 1917 Sporter off the internet. It has a Canjar set trigger. It is really difficult to push the trigger forward without firing it. It seems to be too close to the back of the trigger guard. Can this issue be adjusted out, or does it need new bottom metal...or both?

Posts: 7592 | Location: near Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: 15 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
The position of the set trigger shoe is not adjustable.
The age old cure is to grind the sides of the trigger guard, front and back to an hourglass shape )_( which gives the bottom a more rounded look () than the traditional square shape[]. Narrowing the back allows more exposed area on the back of the trigger shoe to push against with your thumb tip.

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LongDistanceOperator
posted Hide Post
I was thinking maybe the trigger mechanism was out of adjustment. I'm glad I asked.

Also- I looked for a local gunsmith. Someplace to fix little problems without putting a gun in the mail. I stopped by their shop today since I was close by for work. I was kind of surprised to see a Grizzly Lathe and Grizzly bench top mill. I think I'll put the gun in the mail.

Cool screen name. The Enfield is not a .30, but a 338-378 KT. If the seller can find the dies that went with it, I'll leave it as-is. If not, rechamber or rebarrel.

Posts: 7592 | Location: near Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: 15 December 2000Reply With Quote