Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

gunsmith school
 Login/Join

posted
hello everyone this is my first post and i have a question. I am about to move to Tampa Florida and looking for a gunsmith school in the area down there. I have searched online and i am comeing up empty. I dont care to dive to get to one just dont want to be real far away. Any help anyone could give me would be great.

Thanks
Lotec25

Pursuit of Hog's, Dog's and chickens

Posts: 4 | Location: SoCal | Registered: 25 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
The big three are Susanville, CA at the college, Trinidad, CO at the college, and the one in Denver the Colorado school of trades or something like that.

That's the extent of my gunsmith school knowledge.

Someone is offering really good DVD schools, and they are supposed to be exceptional. I would take the machine shop courses first.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brownell's has a listing of gunsmithing schools on their webe site;
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/Company/links.aspx?catid=8

The closest to you is in North Carolina. That's a bit of drive. You might try a different route. This is how I did it. Go to a local community college or trade school and learn how to operate machine tools and how to weld. Then take some of the NRA summer school classes offered at the various colleges. There you'll learn how to apply what you know to firearms and pick up specialized skills. After you know a little about what you're doing, find a good local gunsmith willing to take you on as a helper/apprentice. The folks that graji-ated from the schools sometimes look down their noses at folks that came my route, but you can become a good gunsmith by either method. The most important part of any education is you. What you bring to the table and how hard you work is the most important.

I hope that helps get you started.

Mark Pursell

Posts: 545 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: 21 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
Lotec25 - MPursell has the right idea. I attended the Colorado School of Trades when I lived in Lakewood, CO and it is one of the best. Dick Kroeckle and Eldon Adams, two of the best instructors CST ever had, both told me, "You can make a good gunsmith from a good machinist but not necessarily the other way around".

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M Pursell:
Brownell's has a listing of gunsmithing schools on their webe site;
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/Company/links.aspx?catid=8

The closest to you is in North Carolina. That's a bit of drive. You might try a different route. This is how I did it. Go to a local community college or trade school and learn how to operate machine tools and how to weld. Then take some of the NRA summer school classes offered at the various colleges. There you'll learn how to apply what you know to firearms and pick up specialized skills. After you know a little about what you're doing, find a good local gunsmith willing to take you on as a helper/apprentice. The folks that graji-ated from the schools sometimes look down their noses at folks that came my route, but you can become a good gunsmith by either method. The most important part of any education is you. What you bring to the table and how hard you work is the most important.

I hope that helps get you started.

Mark

Do you have a website? What kind of work do you do?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF:

Do you have a website? What kind of work do you do?

22WRF, no website. I'm a low tech, one man operation. I have an old house out back that's been converted to my shop.

I do mostly repairs. I also refinish wood & blue metal, recut checkering, rebarreling, welding, drill & tap, recoil pads, choke tube installation, choke reaming, all sorts of lathe & mill work and I sweep out the joint. I better stop while you're still awake. Basically, I do whatever comes in the door. I do build custom rifles but I have to fit it in between customers with broken guns that want to get back out hunting. Somethings I can't do but I know who to refer them to.

Mark Pursell

Posts: 545 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: 21 January 2003Reply With Quote