Find
Notify
Tools

Model 70 Alaskan Contour
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted
After seeing a few threads in the "Big Bore" forum I think I'd like to get a barrel in 375H&H for my M70 Classic Stainless in the M70 Alaskan contour, the modern contour that looks similar to the standard pre64 M70 contour with the sight bulge and trim profile.
What barrel maker would make the Alaskan contour?
Would any of them have it on file or would I need to furnish the dimensions?
Where would I get those dimensions if I need to furnish them.?
Any help appreciated.
Thanks

I updated my description after a PM with dpcd.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Douglas will make you that contour and if they don't have it on file, I will send them one to copy.
PM me; I have three of those factory barrels. If interested.

Posts: 17178 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Pm'ed you dpcd

Thanks

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Still seeking the barrel dimensions.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
The OD of the rear sight swell, just in front of that, and the muzzle diameter would be helpful.
The barrels I have are 375 Classic Stainless ones. Different animals than the new Alaskan.
I read that these are made in Portugal; guess I have not been keeping up.....

one of us
posted Hide Post
Measured on a 2012 FN/SC-assembled .375 H&H M70 Alaskan:

The coned breech, barrel threads and cylindrical knoxform (1.145" diameter) occur in the first 1.5" of barrel.

From 1.5" to 4.5" of length that 1.145" cylinder tapers convexly down to 0.875" diameter where the "dognut" rear sight base swell begins.

A concave radius turns into the cylinder of the swell, which is 1.000" in diameter, then a concave radius back down to a barrel diameter of about 0.850" at about 5.5" from breech.

The center of the dognut is about 5.0" from the breech face.
The length of the parallel-sided cylinder of the swell (excluding the concave radii on each end) is about 0.775" length of full 1.000" diameter.
The rear sight dovetail is centered on that, about 5.0" from the breech.

From 0.850" diameter of remaining barrel, distal to dognut radius, the taper is straight to the muzzle. Straight taper.
From 5.5" length to 25" length it reduces from 0.85" diameter to 0.64", rounded to nearest 1/100th of an inch.
Muzzle diameter at 25" length is 0.64", to nearest 1/100th inch.
That is a taper of about 0.01" (ten thou) in diameter for each 1.00" of length of the barrel muzzleward of the dognut.
That is a very common straight taper seen on most sporter barrels.
tu2
Rip ...

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
RIP
I thank you for taking the time to share that.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Very nice information;
Looks like what they did is take the pre 64 barrel contour and increase the front part .050 in front of the swell and .040 at the muzzle. All other dimensions are the same.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My pleasure, y'all, glad to record those numbers for my own reference too.
Here are some pictures of that barrel for visual reference to the numbers:

Above is that earliest production, South Carolina assembled rifle.
A later rifle assembled in Portugal has fancier wood and maybe a little better wood-to-metal fit.
Both pretty good, and the epoxy bedding of both is excellent for factory rifles right out of the box.

The Portugal-assembled rifle:

tu2
Rip ...

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dead Eye
posted Hide Post
Fluting the existing stainless classic barrel will drop a bunch of weight and still look good inside your barrel channel. Just another thought.

Posts: 395 | Location: Canada | Registered: 06 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dead Eye:
Fluting the existing stainless classic barrel will drop a bunch of weight and still look good inside your barrel channel. Just another thought.

That's not what I'm after but thanks.
This specific contour (Alaskan) has my interest at the moment.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hmm. I wonder how much the dognut cylinder would have to be extended to dovetail in a NECG one leaf express sight?

Posts: 163 | Registered: 19 September 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Haverluk:
Hmm. I wonder how much the dognut cylinder would have to be extended to dovetail in a NECG one leaf express sight?

I will let you know, that is my plan.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Easy; that sight is slightly over 2 inches; I actually installed one today.
So your swell is increased from .8 to at least 2.1 long; that will look quite odd and out of place.
Better to make it the Oberndorf contour with the step at the end of the sight and not have a reduced section before that. Parallel from the shank taper, 1.0 OD or so, to the step.

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I didn't read that correctly before I responded.
I have a NECG island with a tall insert, I was thinking of installing that insert not the whole Island Base.
That's what I get for multi tasking to the third power.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Ok, just the insert has a .625 dovetail. I usually put an original long leaf Winchester rear to make them look oldish.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The insert only is what I was referring to. The tall (CZ) version seems like a good place to start.

Posts: 163 | Registered: 19 September 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks nice, but I think I would just rather use a #4 Douglas and mount a quarter rib or one standing on an island along with a barrel band swivel and front sight from Brownells or NECG..I can't abide by those flip up sights in the dog nut. at least on a DG rifle..Just my two bits..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41970 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote